burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To: Transition Your Closet From Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you haven’t noticed, the weather is finally starting to cool down. It is time to say goodbye to short shorts and flip-flops and say hello to oversized sweaters and boots. You guessed it fall is finally upon us! So what does this mean for our closets? CHANGE. It is finally time to swap our summer wardrobes and let our fall clothes take over our closets. Right about now, you’re probably entering panic mode; I’m here to tell you exactly how to make your wardrobe go from summer to fall. 

Like me, you probably like every piece of clothing you own, sitting in your closet at all times. Packing for a weekend away even proves to be a struggle. Whether you live in the dorms or an apartment, there is just not enough room to house ALL our clothes in one closet. To make the switch from summer to fall easy, separate your clothes into three different categories: Keep, pack and bring out. 

Keep: “I WANT TO KEEP IT ALL!” Sorry, but you can’t. Start with the basic pieces that you can wear into the fall season. These basics include T’s, tanks, and jeans. Next, pick out layering pieces you used in the summer: jean jackets, chambrays, cardigans, flannels, etc. To dress up your fall wardrobe a bit, pick out some summer skirts that are “less summery”; some natural colored maxis or skater skirts paired with tights are perfect for any fall outfit. Also, don’t forget about leggings! Besides, what girl can live without leggings in the fall? 

Pack: Now, now, try not to be so emotional during this part. I know it is hard to say goodbye to your clothes for the next few months since they are practically your best friends; however, it has to happen. It is time to pack up some summer goodies and make room for fall wear. Pack up anything neon: flip-flops, pool wear, sundresses, and even shorts. Ask yourself questions like “Did I wear it this summer,” “Does this look like I’m going to a pool party,” “Does this look like anything on my fall Pinterest board?” Asking yourself these questions help make up your mind about what to keep and pack away. 

Bring out: To put your emotions at ease, it is finally time to bring out all those clothes you forgot you packed up before summer. Get excited because it is finally time to pull out all of those over-sized sweaters, boots, jackets, and scarves. 

Organize your closet however you wish and your closet is set for fall! 

Grace Masching

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State