How To Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The month of October comes with lots of perks; oversized sweaters, classic scary movies and of course pumpkin spice on everything.  Possibly one of the most important aspects of October is Breast Cancer Awareness.  All month long organizations join in the fight against this disease that affects 1 in 8 women!  Getting involved with Breast Cancer Awareness this month is simple and fun.  There are more than 2.8 million breast cancer survivors this year alone. Read below for some ways you can get involved to help increase the number of survivors this year. 

For those of you interested in running for the cure, look no further than ISU’s Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.  Susan G. Komen is their national philanthropy and no stranger to breast cancer.  This Sunday, Oct. 13 at 8 a.m. ZTA will be hosting their annual 5k walk/run.  Not only can you get your workout in with your friends at the beautiful Tipton Park, but you could also win a $50 Dick’s Sporting Goods gift card, a sport watch or $250 cash!  

Following the theme of being active, the ISU Volleyball team invites you to help them “Paint the Arena Pink”.  The girls look to continue their winning streak against Missouri State on Oct. 12 at 7 p.m at Redbird Arena.  The team will be wearing pink in honor of those affected by breast cancer.  Also, they will also be serving pink lemonade and hotdogs for just $1!

As most of you know, the color pink represents breast cancer awareness and maybe you may have noticed Ulta’s store turns pink as well.  Ulta is making it easy to sport your favorite shades of pink with deals on your favorite beauty brands all month until Saturday, Oct. 26.  Even better than amazing products that benefit breast cancer, on Sunday Oct. 13 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m., a donation of $10 or more will get you a haircut, shampoo, Microzone skin treatment or a pink hair extension!  Spend all you want ladies because 100% of your donation will go to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation!

Once your get your perfect haircut, you can shop your favorite brands- guilt free!  As the temperature drops, keep your feet warm in these pink Ugg’s.  Ugg’s has donated more than $42,000 to Susan G. Komen!  Other brands who have tinted their products pink and are supporting breast cancer awareness this month include True Religion, BCBGMAXAZRIA, New Balance, Marc Jacobs, Guess, Ann Taylor LOFT, Just Fab and many more.  

In the words of Betsey Johnson “with over 3 million women battling breast cancer today, everywhere you turn there is a mother, daughter, sister or friend who has been affect.”  There is no excuse to not participate in Breast Cancer Awareness this October.  Between 5k’s, Volleyball games, beauty brands and shopping, how much easier can it get?  Get your friends together and lets fight to find a cure together.    

Ashley Bushala

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State