How To REALLY Answer Annoying Questions At The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Every year, around this time, it’s expected of us to meet with family we haven’t seen in a long time for multiple hours. The time together usually involves, eating, telling stories, and of course…getting asked a trivial amount of questions that are the exact same as last year. This time around, make it easier on yourself, and follow this guide of Frequently Asked Family Question and let everyone know how it really is. 

Q: So, How’s School Going?

A: Instead of lying to your family when you tell them school is going ‘GREAT!’ with a fake smile plastered on your face, stuff your mouth with mashed potatoes from dinner until your speaking becomes inaudible and literally nobody can understand what you’re actually saying. They’ll get the hint. 

Q: Why aren’t you in a relationship yet?

A: Basically…

Q: How are your grades?

A: I’m gonna be real with you: 

Q: Have you made a lot of new friends at school?

A: Sort of…..

Q: Remember that time when you were little about 15 years ago when-

A: Well I was an infant then so…..

Q: How are you making money at school?

A: Nothing about that question has changed from last year. Money status:

Relatives who haven’t seen you for a significant amount of time WILL bombard you with annoying questions this holiday season. They are the same questions you have been getting asked for years, but this time around, try being brutally honest with your answers. It get’s that annoying small talk out of the way which brings you closer to what you’re really looking forward to this holiday season: the food. 

Rebecca Davis

Illinois State

New writer for HerCampus at Illinois State University
Contributor account for Illinois State