How To: Manage Your Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We have finally gotten over the hump and are nearing the end of the semester. We can see fall break in our future; however, that doesn’t make all of the piles of homework and upcoming tests go away. How has it finally reached the time where the projects that were assigned on the first day of class are actually due? Since that time has come and those all-nighters at the library are bound to happen, I am here to show you how to avoid the 3 a.m. coffee binges that usually just lead to more stress!

1. Schedule your days: Plan your days so that you are ready for what needs to be done. Doing this will help with your anxiety and help you realize you have enough time. 

2. Prepare: Don’t put things off until the last minute. Try to work ahead so deadlines don’t come out of nowhere. 

3. Work with someone else: Working with someone else in your class is a great way to learn a subject in a fun way. You can bounce ideas off of each other and understand the subject matter better. 

4.  Sleep: You won’t be able to concentrate or do your best if you don’t have the energy. Your body needs time to digest the information that you are putting in your mind, so do not stay up all night. 

5.  Eat: Make sure you take time to put some nutrition in your body. Living on vending machine food and coffee is going to make you feel terrible!

6. Take time to relax: There is nothing worse than acting like the energizer bunny and running yourself into the ground. Take some time for yourself; taking even a mere fifteen minutes can make all of the difference. This “you time” will keep you focused and your eyes on the prize. 

Drake said it best, “YOLO”. Relax everyone! It makes no sense to spend your college years stressing over the amount of work you have when it will get done sooner or later. Breathe. 

Grace Masching

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State