andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make the Best of Your Spring Break Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With spring break right around the corner, you’re either counting down the days to your week on the beach or counting down the days to… nothing. A week away from school is awesome no matter what you’re doing, but it can be a bit of a bummer to sit at home and scroll through all the beach vacation pictures your friends are posting. Maybe you don’t have plans to hit the road next month, and you’re stuck at home or on campus. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a blast. Here’s how you can make the best of your spring break staycation:

1. Treat yo self

Instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself, go treat yo self! Get that haircut you’ve been dying to try. Dye your hair a springtime or summertime color. Go get a mani-pedi. Buy yourself a cute new outfit. Don’t go crazy and blow all of your money in one week, (or one day) but make sure to indulge at least once this spring break. Your wallet may not thank you, but your heart sure will.

2.  Hang out with your family

Your family may not always say it – especially your siblings – but they miss you when you’re gone. The house isn’t the same without you. And you might not always say it, either, but it’s easy to get homesick while away at school. Make the most of your time at home by spending time with your family. You’ll be glad you did later.

3. Meet new people

If you’re stuck on campus and most of your friends went home for the week or are on a beach in Florida soaking up some rays, it’s easy to feel lonely on a big campus. Don’t just sit at home for a week. Go out and meet new people! Find someone else who’s stuck on campus or go to a nearby event. You’ll feel much better spending the week in good company.

4. Start a new show on Netflix

I know I just said to go out and meet people, but that doesn’t mean you should feel forced to socialize for an entire week. For some, too much socializing can be mentally exhausting. We all need some time to ourselves from time to time, and what better way to relax at home than with some good food and Netflix? Look through your list and start that new show that you’ve been dying to watch. I know I’ll be spending part of my spring break starting “Shameless.”

5. Get crafty

How many of us make a DIY or Crafting board on Pinterest and never attempt any of the crafts we pinned? I know I’m guilty. Your staycation could be the perfect time to make some cute new dorm decorations or maybe get a head start on some homemade gifts for friends.

6. Take a day trip somewhere fun

Most of us at ISU are from Illinois, specifically the Chicago area, meaning one of the greatest cities in the country is just a short bus or train ride away. Take a day trip to Chicago! Eat some amazing food in the Windy City. Go window-shopping. If you’re on a budget, see if any of the museums have free admission days coming up . Bring your bestie from home, or maybe your S.O. and have a mini vacation.

7. Sleep in

Maybe you’re past the days of 8 a.m.’s, but chances are you still have some early classes in your schedule or some early morning shifts that stop you from sleeping in while you’re at school. Make the most of your responsibility-free week and sleep in for a change. You’ll feel rested and ready to go when you get back to school.

8. Be positive

You’re not going to have a good staycation if you’re bummed that it’s not a “real” vacation the whole time. There’s power in positive thinking. If you go into this with a positive attitude, you’ll have a much better week than if you go in expecting the worst. Stay positive, spend time with your friends and family, and treat yo’ self. You have the rest of your life to plan out cool vacations in the Bahamas.

Dania De La Hoya

Illinois State

Dania De La Hoya is a senior at Illinois State University double majoring in Journalism and French. She hopes to one day work for anything from a magazine to a newspaper to a TV station. Her biggest goal is to one day publish a fiction novel. When she is not writing or juggling three languages, she can be found binge-watching her latest obsession on Netflix, eating guacamole, or petting cute dogs. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @daniadelahoya.
Contributor account for Illinois State