How to lose a guy in ONE text

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Texting is our generation’s way of keeping in touch, but when it comes to dating, there is a plethora of ways to commit texting suicide.

The “OMGZ HE GAVE ME HIS NUMBERRR!” Moment. 
DO NOT text him right away if he gives you his number unless he says ‘Text me right now.” You need to slow your roll and wait a few hours to a day to do so. Why? Because you will seem too desperate to talk to him. And he should text you first…. It’s the gentlemanly thing to do.

The “Why didn’t you answer my text?”  Text.
Please do not send these texts unless you are dying (physically) and in that case you should call anyways. Again. Super crazy desperate girl that might bite his head off. Not the kind of girl guys want to exactly marry, much less even associate with. Patienceis a virtue…

The One Word Text.
Save your fingers’ strength, they are a waste of space. If the question/text before calls for a response either don’t answer until you have more to say, or make it sound like an actual conversation. When in life does a guy ask to your face “Want to go to a movie tonight?” and we just answer “Yes.” It should be a “Yes, that movie sounds awesome can’t wait.” Or a “No, I have a midterm paper due tomorrow, raincheck?” The one word text simply states that you don’t care enough or that what he said before is not important to you. If a guy is giving his time to text you (which is a heaven sent in the first place) give him a response that will make him feel like he didn’t waste his time. Every situation is different but the one word text is most likely a conversation killer.

The Sext.
Seriously, don’t. But, it does get done. It immediately sends a guy the message that you are down for whatever goes on in men’s brains while you may actually not be. Especially if you really like a guy and would consider a relationship with him, this is a one way text that says “I WILL GET DIRTY WITH YOU.” Yes in caps lock too. He’ll think that you aren’t looking for any commitment and just want to hook up. That’s great if that’s all you want but otherwise NEVER SEXT.

The Dirty Picture Message.
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER. Enough said.

The Neverendinggggggg Texts. 
Personally I hate these. Texting was designed to be convenient and not a novel. If you really need to say that much and cannot fit it into a 160 word text, please call the poor guy. Chances are a serious discussion or a super in depth conversation would sound a lot better on the phone where you can at least hear emotional tone in their voice or sound even better in person. Its one thing if you accidently go over into a 2nd text but don’t explain your ENTIRE weekend, or worse, your entire life story over text. Can I say boringggggg? And for those of you who are talking on the phone phobs, suck it up and call him. Chances are he’ll be happy to talk to you.

The Drunk Text.
Oh lord… where do I begin? Chances are we’ve all done it and all been a victim of it. If you drink, turn your phone off, or leave it behind. I cannot stress how many relationships I and people around me have ended because of the late at night drunk text. If you aren’t with that guy that night and you desperately find the need to tell him that you are in love with him and want to see him…. Please do not send it. No matter how ‘important’ it is that you talk to him at that second, it is best that you don’t. You might think you are being all sly and witty but you really aren’t. We know that if a guy texted us drunk and desperate, it would scare the hell out of us so don’t do it to them.

The “This isn’t working….” Text.
Ladies, have some class and let him down with respect. Be mature and say it to his face. If you turn to texting to break up, you have issues deeper than your relationship.  You sound really immature and really lame. If you don’t want to be broken up with in a text, then don’t do it to someone else.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.