This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Now that summer is over, we are all probably feeling like our diets and workout habits don’t matter anymore since we don’t need to be bikini ready until spring break. WRONG. Living a healthy lifestyle all throughout the year is a great idea and you’ll thank me in February when you aren’t doing hours of cardio and starving yourself to get that spring break bod. All you need is some motivation and some simple changes and you’ll keep your summer body all year long. 

1. Stop Unnecessary SnackingIt is easy to sit around with your roomies and munch on chips and cookies; consequently, by the time you’re done you’ll be sitting there with an empty bag and stomach that is full of calories that you probably weren’t even hungry for in the first place. 
  2. Make Easy SwitchesWhen cooking or eating out, always go for the healthier options. Here are some examples: Grilled>Fried, Balsamic dressing>Creamy Dressing, choose the “light” version of whatever you’re eating, and ask for dressings, sauces, etc. on the side. 
  3. Don’t Drink Your CaloriesAll of those latté’s, Frappuccino’s, and creamed coffee drinks are around 300 calories each and they don’t even fill you up. Skip the Starbucks trip and save your money.For those of you who are 21, I know you are all aware that drinking is unhealthy, but it doesn’t stop us. Without going completely dry, here are some things that you can do to lower your alcohol calories: stop ordering that “dinner drink” that doesn’t make you feel anything and usually costs $8+; order the “light beer”; and, instead of mixing your drinks with soda pop try to stick with water, healthier juices, or diet options. 
  4. Go The Extra Mile, literallyTake the stairs, park further away, walk more places, and stop sitting around. Creating a more active lifestyle is equivalent to creating a healthier one.  
  5. ExerciseI know that this seems obvious, but a lot of us put this one on the back burner once schools starts. Schedule your workouts like it is an appointment and act as though there is a very strict cancelation policy. No excuses! 
  6. SleepSleep is a vital part of a healthy lifestyle. Get off of the social media and get some rest! 
Grace Masching

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State