How to Chill Out During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s mid December, which is known as one of the happiest times of the year: the Holiday Season! At least it is for those who don’t go to college. For us, it’s the most depressing, stressful time of the year and no amount of Christmas cheer can seem to make it better. There’s no sleep, constant thinking about projects and exams, and the dire need to get the heck out of here.

Let’s be honest though girls, stress looks good on no one. While grades are super important and we all want to get out there and ace these tests, it’s important to take a chill pill and not let your inner crazy shine through. Spending all morning, afternoon and night studying may pay off, but it’s also necessary to take a break and unwind. Here are some ways to calm your crazy self during the worst week ever.

Netflix

Have a seat on the couch and watch a short episode or two of your favorite show. Put your notebooks away, just relax and watch Blair and Serena fight for 45 minutes. It’ll distract you from those tests, I promise.

Warning: Do not start any new series when you are taking this Netflix break. You won’t get back up from the couch and well that’s out of my hands.

Shopping

But really when doesn’t shopping not fix every problem? Go browse around your favorite store for a bit and get yourself something small like a new scarf or pair of earrings. After countless hours of studying you deserve a little something for yourself.

Eat real food

You’ve probably been eating snacks and drinking coffee for days and we all know that’s no good for you or your energy. Take a break and go to dinner or order some take out. It won’t kill you to eat a real meal. While you’re at it you might as well order dessert for yourself because that’s probably well earned too.

Work out

Working out can be a total pain sometimes, but it really is the best stress reliever. Find a motivating playlist and hit the gym for an hour. It’ll clear your head and you’ll be ready to knock out some more studying after.

Do one of these things, or do them all! Just be sure to do whatever you can to help yourself relax and stay sane during finals. Happy studying(relaxing)!

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State