How to: Be “So Fetch” During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

You can get away with whatever you want because… Christmas.

1. Start getting into the Christmas spirit… the day after Halloween.2. Cancel all channels except for Hallmark and ABC Family because, frankly, you aren’t watching anything else.3. Listen to nothing else but Christmas music.  4. Only wear festive Christmas sweaters.

5.  Have at least four Christmas trees, each with a different theme of ornaments.6. All of these trees should have been put up on November 1st.7. Make all of your ornaments.8. Insist you put the star on the top of every tree you see being decorated.9. Twinkle lights everywhere.10. Garland everywhere.11. Fake snow everywhere.12. Little tiny nutcracker figurines everywhere.13. Hang a wreath on every door:  front door, bedroom door, car door, bathroom door…go all Oprah on those wreaths.

14. Speak only in popular Christmas movie quotes.  15. And sing everything you say.16. Hot chocolate and egg nog are the only liquids you drink.17. You can also drink milk because it goes with cookies.18. Ditch your usual ear muffs and wear a Santa hat, or wear those reindeer antler headbands.19. Also, switch out your coat for a Santa suit.20. Update your Facebook relationship to “In a relationship with Santa Clause.”21. Wear pointy-toed elf shoes.22. Paint your nails so they are Christmas themed.

23. Remind everyone every single day that Santa is real.24. Put up another Christmas tree because your other four are getting lonely.25. Hook up only with guys that have a white beard or are shorter than five feet tall.26. Light as many Christmas themed candles as you can, until you reach the point where the fire alarm could possibly go off.27. Eat a whole roll of sugar cookie dough.28. Get another roll and bake and decorate Christmas cookies.29. Use garland as a scarf.30. Wear ornaments as earrings…or better yet, as your nose ring.31. Stick to the four Elf food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.32. Go to the local hospital, hack the system, and change the names of every child born this month to “Holly” or “Kris Kringle.”33. Everything you wear, eat, or use must be red and/or green.  Make no exceptions.34. Make a whole gingerbread town and name every shop and little gingerbread person.35. DON’T LET ANYONE EAT YOUR MASTERPIECE.36. Only attend a social event if it is an ugly sweater party.37. At the party, make everyone pick a Charlie Brown character and they must dance as their character does in the Charlie Brown Christmas movie.38. Ride around on a sleigh.  Reindeer are optional but highly recommended.39. Go to the mall and scream with sheer excitement at the sight of Santa.40. Sit on his lap and tell him what you want for Christmas.  Make the helper elf take your picture. 41. Use that picture on your Christmas card and send them to every single person you know.42. Wear Christmas-themed underwear.  Just because not everyone will see it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be festive.43. Tie jingle bells to your shoes.  44. If your neighbor doesn’t have decorations, go and throw some Christmas spirit at their house, apartment, or dorm room, but do it at night so it doesn’t seem so weird.45. Sprinkle tinsel everywhere you go.46. Make thousands of paper snowflakes and hang them anywhere there is free space.47. Read The Night Before Christmas aloud every night before bed.48. Stay up all night Christmas Eve and wait for Santa.49. Say “HO HO HO” when you think something is funny.  And make sure your belly jiggles like a bowl full of jelly.50.Wrap up everything you own and then unwrap everything on Christmas and act super surprised.51. Cry obnoxiously if it doesn’t snow on Christmas.52. Volunteer for the Salvation Army just to ring the bell in front of stores and wish the most amount of people possible “Merry Christmas!”53. Start your countdown for next Christmas on December 26th.

Hannah Carnes is a sophomore double majoring in graphic design and sculpture at Illinois State University. Her dream is to someday move to Neverland where she can be young forever and never have to grow up...but if that doesn't work out, her fall back plan is to live in a tiny, but extremely chic, studio apartment in the big city.
Celina Porretta

Illinois State