HC-Discovered little known artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As most people do, Her Campus ISU loves any mainstreamed, top 10 song that everyone knows all the words to. Who said we couldn’t jam to Adele, Flo Rida’s “Good Feeling” or Tyga’s “Rack City”? However, Megan Lawler, HC ISU contributing writer, has strayed a bit away from the repetitive radio stations and has discovered several little known bands for you to fall in love with.

Ed Sheeran
If you’ve heard of this guy then kudos to you for being so worldly cultured. This famously ginger guy hails from England and has an accent that can melt women’s hearts everywhere (but really, what accent doesn’t melt women’s hearts everywhere?). He has the voice of an angel and his talent is completely natural, no auto tune or dubstep background necessary.  He is known for doing half of his shows with just him and his guitar, in the middle of the audience. His songs are mostly slower and laid-back and are great to chill out to.

Recommended songs:  “Drunk”, “The A-Team”, “Kiss Me” (the Radio 5 live version), “Give Me Love”
Twitter: @edsheeran

[pagebreak]
The Good Husbands
This band? These guys are my BOYS! I may or may not be Facebook friends with all of the members and since they are a Washington based band, I have even debated buying a $500 ticket to fly out to one of their shows to see them. They got their start by posting songs on YouTube and have since gained over 4,400 fans on Facebook and even produced their first EP. Their EP, dropped less than 6 months ago, combines all their most popular YouTube songs and already has over 9,000 downloads. I am constantly rocking these guys on my iPod for the walk to class and have gotten all my friends to fall in love with them, too. These are some humble, home-based boys who know how to make a sick beat and spit some awesome lyrics (sick beat? check out my music lingo!) Download their mixtape from the link below and ten bucks says you won’t be able to stop playing these songs on repeat. And after you’ve become addicted, for my sake, go write on their Facebook page telling them to come to Chicago so I can save $500 and finally see them live!

Recommended songs: “Coffe, Cool”, “In Bloom”, “So Nice”, “Ima Do Me”
Twitter: @TheGoodHusbands
You can download their mixtape “The Proposal” FOR FREE here: http://hulkshare.com/qmerr5qxrsr7

[pagebreak]
Ben Rector
I’ve already been to two of his concerts and have fallen hopelessly in love with this romantic, talented, adorable songbird. He is a genius with the piano and write lyrics that make girls swoon. But wait boys, don’t be scared off by his love-themed songs and charming lyrics. By just making him a mixtape of different Ben songs I have successfully gotten my brother, a Weezy-bumping, Mac Miller-loving, Drake-rocking groupie, Hooked on Ben (it’s like Hooked on Phonics but with better outcomes and no horrible commercials). He is currently on tour with NEEDTOBREATHE right now and is rocking shows all the way from Dallas to Chicago. He is always up for meet-and-greets after his shows and it’s great to be able to talk to him about his music.

Recommended songs: “The Beat”, “White Dress”, “When She Comes Around”, “The Kill”, “Hank”
Twitter: @benrector

[pagebreak]
Timeflies
Fresh off their Valentine’s Day concert at the Castle Rock theatre in downtown Bloomington, these boys know how to make some awesome tracks. Made up of two guys from Brooklyn, they gained YouTube fame with their infectious beats and ability to freestyle like nobody’s business. They have a tradition of doing what they call, “Timeflies Tuesday”, where they post a new song on their YouTube page every Tuesday night. These fresh, free styled songs are what made them a hit with college kids everywhere. Girls love them for their danceable beats and extremely good looks (at least I do) and guys love them for their insane talent and how well their songs work as background music to a pregame. I downloaded it months ago and I am STILL in awe of how incredible and addicting every song on their new album is. So go get your own copy on iTunes or the link below and I can promise you will not be disappointed.

Recommended songs: “Turn It Up”, “Stunner”, “For You”, “Under the Sea” (on YouTube).
Twitter: @Timeflies
Download their debut album “Scotch Tape” here: http://scotchedup.com/

Megan Lawler

Illinois State

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.