This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Photos By: Lindsay Nardini 

Name: Gus Coon

Age: 21

Year in school: Junior

Major:  Accounting and Finance

Hometown: Lake Zurich, Illinois

Her Campus ISU: Tell me a little about yourself.
Gus Coon: Man, this is my least favorite question on the first day of class…well, I like to compose classical music and am currently working on solving world hunger. Just kidding of course. Growing up I was always really involved in sports and just being active in basically any scenario. So although I did not pursue college athletics, I really like to stay active through either working out, playing sports, or really just staying busy doing anything.

HC: Favorite food?
GC: I’d say a perfect day would be waking up and heading to Zorba’s Diner (the finest diner in Bloomington/Normal) and indulging in the Grecian Skillet. With a full belly, I would then make the 2-hour trek to the nearest Portillo’s where I would order and devour just about anything on that menu. Then, with the most satisfied feeling of shame in my stomach, I would make my way to Buffalo Wild Wings and order half Parmesan Garlic, half Asian Zing boneless wings.

HC: Favorite TV show? 
GC: There are a lot, but my all-time favorite is currently Game of Thrones. You can’t find a better story than that! Rumor is that HBO is sponsoring an event through our University Program Board so ISU gets to see the first episode a month in advance!

HC: What is your thing about ISU? 
GC: Everything. We are so fortunate to be able to attend a school that truly offers the full package. We have opportunities all around us to stay involved and push the bar daily, yet we still have a very homey, laid back feel to campus.

HC: What is your involvement on campus? 
GC: I am involved in the business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi here on campus. [Gus is currently the president of the fraternity.]

HC: How is it being the president of such a prestigious RSO? 
GC: My brothers in Alpha Kappa Psi are truly the most remarkable people I have ever met and having the opportunity to lead them is a real honor. Being surrounded by so many people striving to become the best is a constant push factor and is constantly leaving me personally wanting to improve.

HC: I know that you have rush coming up, what is your favorite and least favorite part about that process?
GC: My favorite part of rush is seeing the kids who you knew were unsure about coming out to rush, visibly becoming more comfortable at our “Meet the Chapter” Night.  I was one of those kids who was hesitant to come out to rush, so it makes me feel good to see someone else’s feelings relieved that they made the right choice. My least favorite part has got to be when you know someone would develop phenomenally in an organization like ours, and then not to see them make the effort to come out. Seeing someone miss one of the best opportunities our College of Business offers really brings out a sigh or two.

HC: Who is your role model?GC: Without a doubt in my mind, it’s my parents. They have taught our family how to overcome situations that others may find insurmountable and I cannot thank them enough for the opportunities they have opened up for me.

HC: Tell me about your typical Saturday night? 
GC: You can usually find me at a friend’s apartment or downtown–probably at Mulligan’s.

HC: Do you have a girlfriend? 
GC: Despite Momma Coon telling me I need one, I do not.

HC: What is your favorite feature in a girl? 
GC: A smile. You can tell a lot about a girl through her smile. I am a sucker for a girl with a cute smile.

HC: What is your favorite thing to see a girl wearing? 
GC: Can’t go wrong with a black dress. Classy and attractive.

HC: What is the “girl trend” that you hate the most? 
GC: High. Wasted. Jean. Shorts. Usually girls know exactly what they should or shouldn’t be wearing so this trend just baffles me.

HC: So, I’m sure that you have many, but what who is your all time celebrity crush? 
GC: Rachel McAdams could be wifed up on a moments notice if need be.

HC: How far would you go to meet them? 
GC: Well growing out the hair and beard while rowing a boat worked for Ryan Gosling so I’ll give that a try.
Grace Masching

Illinois State

Lindsay Nardini

Illinois State