On-The-Go Goodies: 5 Items to Keep in the Car 24/7

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Just like any other college student, my old but reliable car is my baby. My car, otherwise known as Baby Blue, is always there for me, gets me where I need to go comfortably and quickly, and does so in style (minus her few areas of rust and chipped paint). With this is mind, it is no shock that I don’t mind spending a lot of time in my car traveling. This past week, however, I traveled quite a bit, and throughout the drive and upon my arrival to my destination, I realized how many things I needed in my car that I didn’t have. Here I have compiled a list of these things, so check it out below to see if you are prepared for anything that may come your way while on-the-go!

1.     Long Sleeve Shirt

Even when it’s nice out, I never have my windows down on the highway, so my air conditioning is on throughout the entirety of my travels. Because of this, my car gets REALLY cold, and I really would have loved to have had some kind of long sleeve shirt in there so I didn’t freeze the whole time! I suggest choosing a cardigan or button up since they’re easy to get on and off while driving as well as keeping the item in an easily accessible location like your backseat for those necessary quick changes. Having this on hand is also great for when going into other heavily air conditioned places or during the winter when you can never have too many layers!

2.     Flats

Driving in heels, flip-flops, and sandals is never a good idea, but you can’t always avoid it when you’re on a timeframe! The solution to this is having a comfortable pair of flats in your car at all times. Switching out your shoes only takes a few seconds, but it makes the biggest difference! Keeping an accompanying pair of socks is also a good idea for those times when you’re feet get cold or when you’re going over to someone else’s home and don’t want to walk around barefoot!

3.     Water & Snacks

After driving for an extended period of time, air conditioning on full blast, and talking/singing, it’s quite easy to get thirsty and hungry while heading towards your destination! By keeping a water bottle (and maybe even a flavoring packet if you want some sweet!) and a few small snacks in the car at all times, you and your passengers can avoid becoming hangry upon your arrival.

4.     Music & Cords

Sadly, you can’t always count on the radio to supply you and your crew with motivating tunes while on-the-go! To ensure that you and your crew never have a dull moment, each create different playlists on your phones and pack all the necessary accompanying cords (including a charger for when your battery betrays you!) for the trip. For those moments where no one’s phone is available to play the tunes, always have some timeless CDs tucked away in your glove box. Playing some oldies-but-goodies is always a great way to get the mood set for those epic car rides you’ll never forget.

5.     Blanket

For the nights when you aren’t up for making the drive home and end up crashing somewhere else, there is nothing more comforting than having your own blanket to sleep with! I keep mine packed away in my trunk for those days, as well as for the days of impromptu picnics and beach trips, or just for when my backseat passengers get cold. No matter the case, keeping a blanket on you 24/7 is the key to making you feel put together when those unplanned moments arise!

Given how much time we spend in our cars and the amount of things we do, there are many more items that could be of use while traveling. Use the comments section below to tell us what you keep in your car!

Chloe Kasper

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State