A Girl’s Guide to Surviving Her First Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Lollapalooza, Spring Awakening, Summerfest, and Country Thunder are some pretty big names in the music festival industry. Even though they are all different genres of music and are played in different locations, they all require the basic necessities for having fun and getting through a very fun yet tiring day!

1. Have a Girl Squad

First of all, every girl has to have their girl squad with them. Never go alone. Remember, you are in a place filled with thousands of people you do not know, so it is imperative to go with people you trust. Always stick together and use the buddy system wherever you go!

1. Have Fun with Outfits

My friends and I plan our festival outfits very well in advance to make sure there are no fashion malfunctions the day of the festival. Flower crowns, crop tops, shorts, converse, and sunglasses are the basic fashion statements that most festival-goers abide by. Also, glitter is a must. Glitter on everything. Glitter in your hair, on your arms, and on your legs. The more extra you are, the better.

1. Buy a Fanny Pack

Okay, I know what you are thinking, and it is not an old and wrinkly pack from the 80’s. These are better. Fanny packs have become a must for festivals.

One, they keep all of your valuables safe including money and a license. Two, they are virtually hands-free! You can dance as wild as your heart desires. And three, you can customize your fanny pack however you want! I bought my fanny pack for Spring Awakening at a second-hand shop, and I bedazzled it with jewels and flowers to make it unique to me. So even though fanny packs are a thing of the past, they are making their way through to the modern-day music scene.

1. Stay Hydrated

I cannot express how important this point truly is! Always have water on you. Whether it’s a camelback backpack or a simple water bottle, make sure to keep sipping water. At all music festivals, there are thousands of people in small and crowded areas, so one is bound to get dehydrated at some point or another. There are free water stations at music festivals to re-fill your drink, so take advantage of that!

1. Take Tons of Pictures

Pictures can say a thousand words, so make the memories count! There are so many cute and fun locations to take pictures at festivals, so make time to include your friends and have a photoshoot.

Music festivals are an amazing and interesting experience. Be sure to stay prepared with these tips to make your day the best it can be!

Anamarija Dimevska

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State