Food Blog: Chili’s Chili Con Queso

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Over Spring Break I tried out a recipe that is sure to be a staple in my household forever, Chili’s queso dip. I can never visit Chili’s without getting their queso because it is just too good!  I thought I’d take on the challenge of recreating it by following a recipe I found on Pinterest. I must warn you, although this recipe creates an absolutely delicious queso dip, it didn’t exactly taste like Chili’s queso dip. So although I was disappointed that I couldn’t exactly recreate it, I was still very pleased with the outcome!

Ingredients:

16-ounce box Velveeta Cheese ( I used the Wal-Mart brand Velveeta Cheese, worked just fine!)

1 C. milk (1 cup of milk will make this cheese dip really thin, I went with ½ cup to add some thickness to it)

2 teaspoons paprika

½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper

15-ounce can of Hormel Chili (I prefer No beans, but it’s entirely up to you)

3 tsp. chili powder ( I have made this recipe two separate times, once using 3 tsp. of chili powder and once using 4. There was a huge difference in hotness of this dip. Using 4 tsp. was way too spicy for my liking, but if you enjoy spicier things then go with 4 tsp.)

1 tablespoon lime juice

½ tsp. ground cumin

Directions:

-Empty can of chili and all of the spices to a medium to large size pan

-Put pan on the stove to medium/medium low setting

-Cut the Velveeta into cubes to make it melt faster

-Add Velveeta to the pan

-Add lime juice and milk and stir until the cheese is completely melted

Then you’re done! It’s a super easy recipe that results in a crowd pleasing queso dip!

One of my favorite things about Chili’s queso is how delicious their chips are. They’re incredibly thin and salty. On The Border has a great copy-cat of these chips called Cantina Thins. You can purchase these at Wal-Mart for around $3.00 a bag.