This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

First and foremost, FOMO means Fear Of Missing Out. I assume most readers know that but trust me; there are many that probably did not know until now. FOMO usually begins in high school; it’s that horrible feeling of being left out. Unfortunately, there will be times you are intentionally left out but most of the time it happens when you just have a prior commitment such as work, homework, studying, etc.

The FOMO in high school was tough but the FOMO in college is a struggle. Freshman year, the answer is always yes: Frat party on a Monday night? Yes. Large Domino’s pizza at 1a.m.? Yes. Prank wars with the boys on your floor even though you have an exam at 8a.m.? Yes. This is the year where you must take advantage of your freedom away from home, as well as your GenEd classes, because never again will you take a class as easy as one of those.

Sophomore year is where you struggle deciding between reaching for that 4.0 GPA or your debit card for Domino’s pizza. Some people are capable of doing both but if that’s not the case for you, find a happy medium. Do not lose sight of the reason you came to college (to get a degree) but do not miss out on the opportunities that come with it! 

If you live it up freshman and sophomore year, your feelings of FOMO will be similar to those of mine. When junior year comes around, Netflix, your bed and a glass of wine become a lot more appealing than parties, pizzas and boys. Waking up on Friday, Saturday and Sunday is a lot easier to do without the regrets, extreme thirst and pounding headache. Personally, my FOMO disappeared when I started to focus more on my future and less on what I was going to wear that night. At first it was hard to see the cute pictures and funny memories I missed out on but once I started receiving my grades, it felt so much more rewarding than an Instagram with 100+ likes.

Now that you know FOMO is not permanent, get out there and do college right. Freshmen and sophomores – remember, the answer is always yes. Juniors and seniors – this does not mean you can completely go off the radar but now you know it is acceptable to feel like a grandma when you choose popcorn and a movie over a handle of Burnett’s and Ron Bombs at Chasers.  

Danielle Farrow

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State