Fashionable Fall: Sweater Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I think we can all agree that sweater season is the equivalent to the Holy Grail in the fashion world. They provide comfort, warmth and of course effortless outfits that make parading around on these chilly days a little more enjoyable. I have always been a lover of this time of year, not only for the family-wholesome holidays, but also for the reuniting aspect of bringing my beloved sweaters out of hibernation. If you are playing the “reunited and it feels so good” tune in your head, believe me, you are not alone. With the first snowfall of the year out of the way, I feel as though Fall may be leaving us sooner than expected. So, I have put together some sweater ensembles that I have been experimenting with and have even included where I found them in my bargain hunting adventures. Happy Fall, Fashionistas!

MONDAY: Polished

Got the Monday blues? My snooze button on my alarm clock seems to get the most action on this day of the week. My little secret to making crawling out from underneath those covers a little easier? I throw on this chunky navy sweater that provides the perfect combination of warmth and style. This little number fits loosely but is not too oversized which to me, is the ultimate sweater. My sister found this sweater on one of our expeditions to Kohls AND paid less than $15.00 for it. Yes, you did just read that right. Get rid of those Monday BLUES with navy hues this season!      

TUESDAY: BoHo

Ombre styles have been making a dynamic statement, not only in the hair-dressing world, but also in apparel. I found this sweater on the sale rack at Kohls (if you can’t already tell I am utterly addicted based on the above finding) and paid roughly $17.50 for it. It ended up being even cheaper thanks to every Kohls-lovers kryptonite, KOHLS CASH. As if I needed any more incentive to go shopping there! I like to pair this wrap sweater with a printed dress, a pair of opaque tights, and my favorite combat boots.    

WEDNESDAY: Girly

I personally ‘heart’ hump day. Partially due to the insanely funny GEICO camel commercial (lets be real) but mostly because it’s a friendly reminder that I am halfway through the week. Thank goodness! This heart-patterned sweater is definitely one of my favorites to pull over a dress or a pair of skinnies. It was love at first site when I found this Lauren Conrad sweater (believe it or not) on the 70% off clearance rack at Kohl’s. If your jaw dropped at that last statement you have just re-enacted my excitement in the middle of the aisle that day. Fall in love with your wardrobe by adding patterned sweaters that can easily make any outfit fun and chic. Although my personal picutre wouldnt upload correctly, here is a picture of the same sweater worn by another fashionista!   

THURSDAY: Edgy

Studded sweater + Leather leggings= MAJOR edge. Just recently I added this wine colored piece to my sweater wardrobe and absolutely have fallen head over combat boots in love with it. I should really just dedicate my whole sweater collection to the clearance racks at Kohls because once again this Rock and Republic garment derived from the ‘beginning of the summer’ clear-out. I have found the best time to buy anything sweater inspired is at the beginning of summer because this originally $40.00+ sweater cost me $6.00. MIND BLOWN. I have been styling this one with a pair of leather leggings, a denim vest and grey combat boots. Two words: Effortless and edgy.   

FRIDAY: Casual

Everyone in the working world LOVES Casual Friday, and who can blame them? This comfy cardigan sweater has been a statement piece on those days that are totally devoted to feeling relaxed. At this point you should not be surprised that I’m thinking about starting up a Kohls clearance-rack fan page. This tapered cardigan totaled $21.00 and has been the easiest layering piece to work with. Moral of the article…do NOT underestimate the Kohls clearance racks.    

Now pick some of your favorite chunky sweaters, and try your own pairings this week! Remember to mix it up and have fun with it!

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.
Contributor account for Illinois State