stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy Tips To Eating Healthy On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As a college student on a budget with limited time, it can be very difficult to find healthy options, especially if you are still living in the dorms! Being a nursing major, I look for nutritious food, and yes, I admit I love a cookie and some ice cream here and there, but food is all about balance and moderation. You can eat everything, because your body does need every type of food, including sugar and carbs, but the key is to eat the things you enjoy in moderation. So here are some tips and helpful advice for those struggling to find healthy options on campus!

1. Ditch the sugary drinks; water is the way to go!

This is an easy way to save your daily sugar intake and eat that cookie for dessert! Drinking water is amazing. It has so many great benefits that a lot of other drinks do not offer. So fill up that water bottle and chug away!

2. Eat vegetables for at least one meal of the day

Of course vegetables are great and healthy for the body, but let’s face it, the dining center does not have the best selection of cooked vegetables and produce. When eating at the dining center, make it a goal to eat a serving of vegetables with at least one meal. Whether that is steamed vegetables or a salad, all veggies are a nutritious choice, and your body will thank you in the long run for this easy fix.

3. Snack smart

It is so easy to fall into the temptation of those chips in the vending machine, but resist that urge and grab some healthy snacks on the go! On your way out of the dining center, grab a banana or an apple and just put them in your bag for the day. Eating snacks is the easiest way to fill up on empty calories throughout the day because you tend to mindlessly eat without realizing it. To avoid this, pack some fruit, veggies, or a granola bar to get you through the day before your next meal!

4. Eat breakfast!

Breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day. It fuels you for the rest of the day and leaves you feeling ready and charged to take on anything! I used to not eat breakfast, and I made bad food choices to make up for my hunger throughout the day, which ended up hurting me more than I realized. Eating a nutritious breakfast makes you mindful for the next meals in the day and puts you on the right track from the very beginning!

5. It’s okay to indulge from time to time

If you really want that piece of cake, go for it. Your body has cravings and urges, so it is only human to indulge once in a while. It is not healthy to completely restrict your body from everything remotely bad or unhealthy. Of course, it would not be the best if you ate sugar and sweets every day, but once in a while it is absolutely necessary to treat yourself to that piece of cake or scoop of ice cream.

Anamarija Dimevska

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State