This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Clare Hancock is a vibrant young woman who pours her heart into everything she does. She is a graduating senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Spanish. Clare is heavily involved in leadership roles to which she excels in and raises awareness for her work with Invisible Children. Read our exclusive interview with Clare to see the influence she has had on this campus.

HC: Clare, what is your involvement on campus?
Hancock: I am involved with Students Today Leaders Forever (STLF), Invisible Children, and I have participated in programs through the Leadership and Service Unit. I also work in the Leadership and Service Unit as the Leadership Student Specialist.

HC: What is your role within Invisible Children?
Hancock: We are currently in a transition period, but I have served as the president of Invisible Children at ISU for a year. Before this, I served as the awareness committee head for a semester.

HC: What do you hope to do with Invisible Children here on campus?
Hancock: I am hoping to raise awareness about the war that is going on in Central Africa and just hope that people realize the issue at hand and are compelled to do something about it or seek out injustices they would like to do something about, even if it is not this one. I think that we are also hoping to open people’s eyes to human issues in general and to really find their stance on them.

HC: What made you want to go into the direction of leadership and service?
Hancock: I got involved first through a Pay It Forward Tour through STLF, which ignited my passion for serving others. The leadership aspect then came through different activities and programs I decided to participate in, including LeaderShape, and different decisions I was making in how I my life. After looking back on my freshman year (when all of this occurred), I realized the value that leadership and service had on my life and how I was living my life, and I wanted to be a part in other people coming to this conclusion in their lives as well.

HC: What are your plans in the future?
Hancock: I don’t really have an exact plan for what I am doing after I graduate, but I have high hopes. There are a few classes that I need to take this summer to finish up my degree, so I will be living at home for a while and enjoying time with loved ones while I have the opportunity. From here, I am looking for jobs in the nonprofit realm, hoping to work with youth in some capacity.

We wish Clare Hancock all of the best and success in her future!

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.