This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s an age old question that many girls ask themselves while putting together an outfit, “Do I HAVE to wear a bra with this?” Some women view bras as the greatest invention since the wheel, while others like to think of it as a man-made invention that make our boobs irrationally bigger while simultaneously making our backs itchy in impossible-to-reach spots. Nevertheless, whether your take on bras be good or bad, there are rules on when you need to wear one and when you don’t. So whip out your notebooks ladies and take some notes because these are rules you definitely don’t want to forget.

DON’T: Wear a white colored bra under a white shirt. This is a common mistake made by so many woman but really you should go with a nude colored bra. This color will blend in with your skin rather than stick out against the white material.

DON’T: Wear a white (and DEFINITLY not colored) bra with a sheer, dark top. You may not be able to see it in the mirror, but if you plan on taking any pictures that night trust me, it will show up.

DO: For dresses or shirts with a plunging neckline or risqué cut-out back, please remember to at least wear sticky boobs. These can be purchased at almost any department store and can do wonders. Not only will they keep your boobs looking perky, they’ll also hide any nip-slip mishaps.

DON’T: Under a sheer lace top. This is why the bandeau was invented so please use it. You’re not making a fashion statement with that black bra showing through your shirt, you look more like a hooker.

DON’T: Wear a bra that shows through your arm holes. Low cut jerseys and low boy-cut shirts are becoming all the rage to rock whether you’re day drinking or on your way to class but can look trashy with a bra hanging out the sides. Cami’s are a great way to avoid this mishap and it is easy to find one with a built-in bra. Sports bras are also a great alternative that give the illusion of a cami, without all the extra bulk.

DON’T: Wear a regular bra with a racer back top. Beware – these are where some of the worst bra-crimes are committed. If your going to wear a hot pink bra with a white racer back tank top then it your choice to look like white trash. It’s super easy to find a great convertible bra that can clip itself into a racer back. I own about 30 pairs of “Strap-Perfect,” a genius invention that hooks your bra straps together to create any regular bra into a racer back.

DO: Wear a strapless push up bra with a strapless dress. Even if the dress comes with a built-in bra, it’s always a good idea to give yourself some extra support just in case. Many times, built-in bras leave your boobs looking saggy and small, so wearing a strapless bra (making sure it’s not TOO tight) can give you that little push to bring the twins up to right where you need them.

DON’T: Let your bra line show through your dress. This is especially important when wearing a silky top or one that clings tight to your body. Try wearing a seamless or strapless bra to avoid this.

DO or DON’T: Wear your bra to bed. There have always been rumors about whether wearing a bra to bed has good or bad effects but the truth is, it does nothing! So this one is entirely your choice. Some women like the extra support while sleeping while others like to let it all hang loose and give themselves a break.

Megan Lawler

Illinois State

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.