Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois State Blog

10 Healthy Foods That Are Actually Unhealthy

By Hannah Dytrych
May 2, 2014 - 4:11pm

You might be surprised that some of the “healthy” food you choose to eat instead of the regular stuff might actually be worse for you. We have an abundance of food options all around us so sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between what’s healthy or not. After doing some research I found 10 foods/drinks that you might want to consider crossing off your “healthy” list. 1. Ready-to-Go Smoothies READ MORE

The Netflix Must Watch List

By Miranda Jones
April 30, 2014 - 2:34pm

Finals are coming up and I know we’re all likely on the highest levels of the procrastination scale. Whether you’re catching up on articles on Her Campus, watching funny animal videos on YouTube or constantly checking your Instagram feed, studying is the last thing you want to do. As if you haven’t already procrastinated enough, here’s a list of things you must watch on Netflix, whether it be this week or this summer. (Only two more weeks!)     Arrested Development READ MORE

How To Prepare For Finals

By Danielle Farrow
April 30, 2014 - 12:28pm

The weather is getting warmer and summer is getting closer! But you know what that means… The one thing separating you from that warm, sunny weather and your summer vacation is FINALS WEEK. There is still time to pull it all together and do well next week, even if you’re stressing already. Start getting prepared now by checking out these tips. Like they always say, “better late than never.”   READ MORE

Healthy Dessert Recipes That Are Surprisingly Tasty!

By Miranda Jones
April 22, 2014 - 7:24pm

Have you ever had the moment where you really want that delicious looking piece of cake but you promised yourself you’re going to start eating healthy? It’s time to stop resisting cravings and treat yourself to some yummy desserts that are surprisingly not bad for you. Healthy cake pops:   What you’ll need: READ MORE

Go Green: It's Earth Day!

By Ashley Bushala
April 21, 2014 - 7:05pm

For over 40 years, Earth Day has been celebrated and this year’s celebration is right around the corner!  Tuesday, April 22 marks Earth Day 2014, arguably the most important day of the year.  Mother Earth deserves a pat on the back for dealing with everything we put her through! From wearing green or brown to researching hybrid cars, there are countless ways to get involved with Earth Day.  Here a few ideas to love Mother Earth this year in Blo-No. Recycle and Donate READ MORE

6 Ways to Thank Your Friends for Being Great

By Raquel Ugalde
April 17, 2014 - 9:38pm

For all the times they’ve held your hair back after too many drinks, all the times they’ve picked you up the next morning from shacking, all the times they’ve wiped your tears away after a break-up, all the times they’ve made you cry from laughing so hard... it’s time we appreciate our best friends. Your group of girlfriends are there to tell you the truth when you need to hear it most. Finding quality friends is not always the easiest feat, so to all the great friends out there, thank you for keeping our sanity intact.     READ MORE

Fun Easter Ideas

By Miranda Jones
April 17, 2014 - 3:33pm

Are you going home for Easter and tired of just dying eggs like you did when you were younger? Change it up this year by using these fun, new ideas that can make Easter Sunday feel exciting again. If you’re looking for a fun gift to give to family, your significant other, a friend or even just something to eat for yourself, some yummy chocolate covered strawberries are the way to go. Instead of using the traditional brown chocolate use orange food coloring to dye white chocolate before dipping in the strawberries so they look like carrots! READ MORE

5 Classes ISU Should Offer for College Students

By Rebecca Davis
April 11, 2014 - 12:17pm

I think we can all agree that the required courses we have to take as college students can be extremely boring, uninteresting and seemingly irrelevant to your life. We have to take classes that sometimes have nothing to do with our major or our interests. Will I ever have to know statistics or biology five years down the road? Maybe if they taught us classes that matched up with our lives, we would pay more attention in class and actually get something out of an 8 a.m. gen-ed we were forced to take. Here are some better alternatives I thought up.   1. Hangover Education 101 Let’s be honest, sometimes college is going to involve drinking and sometimes people aren’t prepared for what they’re going to wake up to the next morning. Shouldn’t we have all had a...

Baseball for Girls

By Danielle Farrow
April 4, 2014 - 1:53pm

Baseball for Girls   Every girl at some point in their life wants nothing more than to fit in with the boys; whether it is your boyfriend or your group of close guy friends. With baseball season starting up here are the basics of what you need to know about the game of baseball!   Let’s start off with the field. Baseball is played on a diamond. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd bases and home plate make up the corners of the diamond and the lines are what indicate what is a “safe” play area, when the ball is in play and what is “foul”. The area in the diamond is called the infield and the area beyond the diamond is the outfield.   READ MORE

8 Things You Wish You Would Have Known Your First Semester at ISU

By Grace Masching
April 2, 2014 - 6:08pm

At the start of everyone’s time at ISU, we all thought we knew it all. We didn’t want to take anyone’s advice or listen to what they had to say. However, after a semester (or a few) under your belt, you may now be regretting some of the choices you made early on at ISU. Here are something’s you probably wish you would have known your first semester at ISU: 1.     Flex does run out. Einstein’s here, Subway there.. it added up and before you knew it, it’s only October and your flex is gone. Better luck next semester!   2.     …And so will your summer job money. READ MORE