This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Black Friday is almost every girls FAVORITE holiday (except for their birthday). It is the Friday following Thanksgiving Day and is often times considered the start of the Christmas shopping season. 

On Black Friday major retailers open their stores extremely early, offering huge sales to kick off the holiday shopping season. In the past, it was common for retailers to open at 6 a.m. but more recently stores have pushed it back even earlier to 5a.m. OR even 4a.m.! In 2012, several stores announced they would be opening at 8p.m. on Thanksgiving Day! 

Personally, Black Friday is a tradition in my family. Every year following our Thanksgiving family party, my mom and I put our pajamas on, maybe catch a couple hours of sleep, and then head to Dunkin Donuts in preparation for our long night ahead! It’s a good idea to head to the electronic department stores first because most of their sales are based off of first come first serve. A couple of years ago we waited in line for  “The first 100 people in line get a 36 inch TV for half the price” special and then continued on to the mall! You have to be prepared when entering the mall on Black Friday; it is similar to the jungle scene in the mall from Mean Girls. It might be crazy but it’s completely worth it. I always walk out with all of my Christmas gifts and then some for half the price! 

If that kind of shopping isn’t for you, then don’t stress. 

“I never end up buying anything because it’s to stressful. Cyber Monday is my thing though.” says student Jackie Hansen. Cyber Monday is the Monday following Black Friday when stores bring all of their sales online! 

So whether it’s Black Friday or Cyber Monday don’t miss out on the deals this year! It’s worth it, especially for those of us on a college budget.

Danielle Farrow

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State