Best & Worst Dressed at the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Yes, it is that time of year again… award season.  And with award season comes the red carpet which is one of the crucial and maybe most looked-at aspects of an award show.  Celebrity hosts get to talk one-on-one with the stars attending the show where they ask the infamous question, “What are you wearing?”  Here is my best and worst dressed on the Academy Awards red carpet. 

Best Dressed

Kate Hudson- Kate was easily my top-pick of the night as she strutted down the red carpet so elegantly in an Atelier Versace gown. The gown was a low-cut beaded slimming gown accompanied by a beaded cape with shoulder pads.  She looks absolutely fierce in this dress.

Lupita Nyong’o– Lupita was the star on the rise lately and she has been known for impeccable fashion during the awards season.  I believe she hit it perfectly with this one, making a statement in a simple, light blue Prada dress with a low-cut neck line. Simple, yet elegant and the color stood out from the others.

Sandra Bullock- Sandra Bullock looked stunning in a beautiful navy blue Alexander McQueen gown featuring a sweetheart neck and a simply ruching that flowed perfectly.  

Portia de Rossi- Portia was the First Lady of the Oscars this year as her partner, Ellen DeGeneres, hosted this year’s Academy Awards. Portia sported a beautifully slimming cream crotchet halter gown by Naeem Khan.  The pattern was very different from other gowns seen on the red carpet this year and definitely caught people’s attention.  

Kristin Chenoweth- Kristin shimmered in a beautiful strapless gold Cavalli gown.The Broadway star looked like a walking Oscar trophy on the red carpet. I think she could have done more with her hair, but her metallic gown distracted us from even worrying about her up-do!

Worst Dressed

Pharrell Williams- Pharrell knows how to make a statement and keep people talking.  He showed up on the red carpet in a Lanvin tuxedo shorts pair.  The length of the shorts was a bit disturbing to the eyes revealing his knee caps and rather skinny calves. He paired the outfit with dress shoes and no socks.  I think Pharrell just likes to keep us guessing what he’ll wear next, and in this case, it was a definite let down. 

Jennifer Garner- Jennifer walked the red carpet in a shiny silver flapper-inspired dress.  This gown, crafted by Oscar de la Renta gown, was not flattering to the starlet at all.  It looked like someone cut off the bottom of a very long flapper dress and glues it on to a not-so flattering top piece. Sorry Jen, better luck next year. 

Angelina Jolie- Angelina Jolie can usually make anything look amazing because well, she’s Angelina Jolie.  The Oscars was not her best night in fashion this year.  Jolie showed up to the red carpet with Brad Pitt as a pretty nice arm piece, but her Elie Saab Haute Couture gown was not as flattering.  The dress was too old for her rocking body.  The dress held an odd shape and almost looked too “frumpy” for her body.  The long sleeves just didn’t do her justice, for me.

Anna Kendrick- Many found Anna Kendrick’s gown to be gorgeous. I found it to be awkward and too busy.  Kendrick walked the red carpet in a black and red gown by J. Mendel. This dress did not flatter her as well as another dress could have.  There was a busy high-low bottom with a ruffled skirt and an asymmetrical neckline, which just gave the ‘too much going on’ look. There was unnecessary red beading in the center of the dress which I thought was distasteful as well.  

Elsa Pataky- Elsa was all baby on the red carpet as she sported her major baby bump of twins.  I was hesitant to even critique her since she is an expecting mother and I can only image how difficult it might be to find something flattering for a red carpet event.  Most of the time, celebrities manage to find a way to create a flattering pregnant look.  Pataky, not so much.  She wore a green Elie Saab gown with a tight elastic band below her baby bump, which accentuated the bump too much.  I think the most unflattering part of the dress was the plunging neck line and the plunging sides below her under arms. 

Do you agree with my critique of the stars? Leave us a comment stating who you thought rocked the red carpet this year.