Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Illinois State Archives

Taylor Ericson

By Grace O'Brien
October 30, 2014 - 1:20pm

Meet this week’s Campus Celeb, Taylor Ericson! You can spot her at every single football game this fall, since she has been an active member of the Illinois State University drumline for three years, playing the marching tenor. With a passion for Spanish, she also decided to take advantage of the studying abroad program here at ISU. She went abroad to Spain during the spring semester of 2014. Taylor has a carefree, loving personality, a positive outlook on life, and is driven by her strong Christian faith. After making some peppermint tea and settling down in her cozy apartment kitchen, Taylor opens up about her love for music, teaching, and her experience abroad.  READ MORE

Normal Haunted Trail

By Grace O'Brien
October 30, 2014 - 1:13pm

Ready to get scared? I'm sure you’ve never seen the Constitution Trail like this before! Round up your closest friends and get ready for some thrills and chills on a haunted walk through the woods!  READ MORE

Couple Halloween Costumes For Those Difficult Guys

By Cheyenne Clayton
October 30, 2014 - 12:59pm

Finding a Halloween costume for you and your boyfriend can be a hair-pulling task. You want to look cute in your costume but getting him to agree on any outfit can be extremely hard. Here are some easy Halloween costumes that are sure to please you and your guy.  1. Struck by Lightning READ MORE

7 Halloween Costumes To Avoid

By Gaby Kaplan
October 29, 2014 - 2:11pm

Halloween is just around the corner and college students are in a panic while trying to find this year’s costume(s). As the years continue there seems to be more and more do’s and don’t’s for Halloween attire. To give you a heads up, I put together a list of seven Halloween costumes that should be avoided. You don’t want to be THAT person at a party wearing THAT costume, right?  1. Ebola   READ MORE

Micalena Mikhail '16

By Hannah Dytrych
October 29, 2014 - 11:23am

Name: Micalena Mikhail Age: 20 Major: Broadcast Journalism Hometown: South Elgin, IL Relationship Status: Taken :( Favorite Food: Sloppy Joes Favorite Movie: Wizard of Oz Call or Text: Call Early Bird or Night Owl: Night Owl READ MORE

10 Things NOT to Say to a Girl

By Grace Masching
October 28, 2014 - 9:03pm

We have all had that moment when we are talking to someone (usually a boyfriend/ex-boyfriend and they say something and you’re thinking “SERIOUSLY, I’M GOING TO PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE NOW!” Well, if you just happen to be one of those people, here is some advice on what NOT to say to a girl. 1.  “You’re so dramatic, Calm down, Relax, etc”  Never EVER under any circumstance tell a girl that she is being dramatic. She may be overreacting, but I PROMISE if you say that, she will start being even more “dramatic”.  READ MORE

5 Reasons Why You Should Start Attending ISU Sporting Events

By Katy Winge
October 28, 2014 - 3:55pm

The Redbirds have set the standard extremely high this fall; the sad thing is, many students have no idea. Maybe sports aren’t your thing, and maybe you’re not into the whole school spirit thing. But at the very least you should know your school is making history in the sport world. If you thought Illinois State wasn’t a school with a top-notch athletic reputation, think again. Here are 5 reasons you should reconsider attending a few games, especially right now.  READ MORE

Trick or Treat Yoself

By Hannah Carnes
October 27, 2014 - 10:29pm

This time of year can be tough on every college student. The fall season signals midterms, midterm grades, and the semiannual mid-semester breakdown.  Do you know what you need? Well I do. You need a girl’s night. Absolutely nothing beats hanging with your best friends, crafting, laughing, drinking, and snacking.  Here is the perfect plan for the best fall-themed fiesta ever.   READ MORE

5 Tips for Running Newbies

By Grace O'Brien
October 27, 2014 - 6:41pm

For most people, running comes as a pure form of torture because of its arm pumping, sweat dripping, and one-foot-in-front-of-the-other motion. But for many others, including myself, running is something that helps me get through the day. Whenever I’m stressed I simply grab my headphones, lace up my shoes and head out for a run. My thoughts about the big paper I have to do by the end of the week melt away, as well as every other negative thought in my head. Running has changed my life in such a positive way, and I truly believe it is something that anyone can do. Here are five tips for running newbies!   1. Start Out Easy  READ MORE

Costumes on a Budget

By MikylaMoya
October 27, 2014 - 3:24pm

Tis’ the season for Pumpkin Spice Lattes, jack o ’lanterns, scary movies, and costumes. Indeed, Halloween is on Friday! If you are anything like me, you probably don’t have a costume and the idea of spending $60 at the local Halloween store for an outfit you will only wear once is scarier than Friday the 13th.    READ MORE