The Anatomy of a Girls Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Because some nights are strictly for the ladies.

If you’re like me, a girls’ night is like the glorious pot of gold at the end of the horrible monochromatic rainbow that is the school/work week. But just what is it about a girls’ night that makes it so stinkin’ beautiful? Let’s examine this closely, taking my most recent girls’ night as an example. (Read:  This girls’ night was so lit).

Food.

A girl’s night simply isn’t complete without good food. All the better if it’s adventurous, sharable food. Our squad chose to try La Bamba’s sushi for the first time! We celebrated our sisterhood over raw fish, California rolls, and chicken tempura in a restaurant lauded for its burritos the size of your head. Though I was concerned about the possibility of food poisoning with six girls headed back to an apartment equipped with a whopping ~one~ bathroom, everything turned out fine. It was delicious, and apparently e. coli free. But if you think we stopped after six sushi rolls, you’re laughably wrong. We ate brownies and ice cream IMMEDIATELY upon arriving at my apartment. Girls’ nights are strictly a calorie-free, judgement-free zone. Calories don’t count when you’re treatin’ yoself and yo friends.

Games.

I don’t care what kind of game you and your friends choose to play, but games are a must if you want to giggle with your girlfriends. You could go out and bowl or play billiards, or you could stay in and play videos games or board games. For our girls’ night, it was Cards Against Humanity. Because honestly girls are just as gross and vulgar, if not more so, than guys. It was a good choice for us. We know how to hit each other’s funny bones. My homegirl Jessica made me uncontrollably cry-laugh just by reading “The Blood of Christ” card. I don’t know either; you had to be there.

Pampering.

Go ahead. Make your very own DIY spa! Nothing bonds a group of friends together like communal face masks. We set up an assembly line in our ~one~ available bathroom and took turns washing our faces and applying face masks, which was, of course, the perfect chance for a multitude of silly selfies.

Movies.

For me, you can’t have a girls’ night without a chick flick. We went for a beloved throwback:  Aquamarine. If you don’t remember, this mermaid movie features a tiny Emma Roberts, Sara Paxton, and Jojo! (By the way, this was great prep for Jojo’s free show here at ISU on April 17 at 8p.m.). It centers around themes of love and friendship, which is such a good fit for a girls’ night, because that’s what they’re all about. For us, it was also a great opportunity to return to the first must of a girls’ night, which was food. More ice cream for us!

Late Night Bad Decisions.

I know what you’re thinking. But no, I didn’t do anything ~that~ stupid. The scale and severity of your bad decision-making is a personal choice. I prefer to keep mine pretty low stakes. After everyone else left, I let my roommates, Stephanie and Rachel, put what Pinterest advertised as a hair mask into my hair, but the ingredients read like a smoothie:  honey, yogurt, and banana. Long story short, I ended up with incredibly soft hair, plus a side of a clogged shower drain full of banana chunks, and I yanked out roughly a bajillion hairs trying to rinse the mask out.

To review the formula:  food + games + pampering + movies + bad decisions = the perfect girls’ night for the perfect girls in your life.

Hi guys! I'm Holly, and I'm a writer for HerCampus at Illinois State. My interests includes feminism, superheroes, books, movies, tv shows, food, and puppies! As you can see, I enjoy a pretty eclectic range of things, but most importantly I'm just a regular college girl trying to live her best life. :)
Contributor account for Illinois State