Alessia Cara Speaks Up About Her Own Hair Loss To Remind Girls Why They’re Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

For the VMAs, singer Alessia Cara wore a black top and black, flared dress pants, sporting an “all-natural” look. The 20-year-old singer wanted to spread her message about self-acceptance to challenge stereotypical standards in today’s society through her performance of “Scars to Your Beautiful.”

Starting the performance in a red dress, wig, and a face full of makeup, by the end she stood without the wig and dress, wearing no makeup at all: all natural.

“How could I be preaching a song about being yourself and being beautiful and perfect with the way you are – and have a full face of makeup?” Cara said to Billboard Magazine.

She wants to show her audience that you don’t have to have a full face caked with makeup to be beautiful; you should be your remarkable self without it. So when she sings “Scars to Your Beautiful,” she won’t be wearing makeup or hide behind a fake image. Instead, she will be sporting an everyday look without any makeup.

You can find Meghan at the nearest mall dealing with her major shopaholic problem either coming out of a nearby Forever 21 or Pink. Meghan is from the the Northwest Chicago suburbs and is a senior with a Psychology major. She transferred to Illinois State University last year from Roosevelt University in Chicago and has loved every minute here at ISU! Meghan has always had a strong passion for writing and was super excieted when she got accepted in to the Her Campus Womens Magazine at ISU. She can't wait to see what's instore for her for the rest of the year while being a writer, and currently the Events Director, for the HC team!
Contributor account for Illinois State