7 Ways Survive Sickness at College: Without Your Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With our insane schedules and our even crazier bedtimes, it is no surprise that every Redbird will feel a little under the weather this semester. Getting sick in college is a whole new ball game for us students. The pre-college school days are over and with that so is the hospitality you receive from your number one nurse…your mom. While we can all agree that coming down with a horrible cold or flu virus is possibly the worst thing to happen in the midst of college course work, having to do it without your mom’s chicken noodle soup and dose of Nyquil every hour makes it even worse. Here are some tips to get you through the “College Cold n’ Flu Catastrophe” without the presence of your mother:

1. Have your mother on speed dial. It’s probably just as hard for her as it is for you not having her there with you. Having her on the phone while bombarding her with remedy questions and chicken noodle recipe requests makes it feel like she is there in spirit! 

2.  Bundle up in whatever blankets you can find and binge watch Netflix until you forget how crappy you feel.

3.  Self-employ one of your roommates to play “mom”. Have her assist you in anyway she can; your friendship depends on it.

But don’t be surprised if this is their reaction…

4.  Make it a mission to keep the necessary essentials with you: medication, cough drops, and  yes, the dreaded Kleenex. Although it may be embarrassing, take it out in class! 

5.  If you have to miss class, make sure you communicate with your professors. Let them know that you are battling the Cold Crusade and will do what is necessary to not fall behind in class. Hopefully their reaction goes something like this:

6.  It’s no doubt that your pajamas and a cup of hot tea will become your new best friends, but just remember to change your clothes at least every 24 hours…

7.  Lastly, remember that this will pass, with or without having your mommy there to cater to all of your sickly needs. 

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.
Celina Porretta

Illinois State