6 Tips for Adjusting to Apartment Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

6 Tips for Adjusting to Apartment Life

Guess what? It’s time to adult–like actually be an adult and fend for yourself. You have to finally cook for yourself, no more going to the cafeteria and getting food. Plus, you need to learn how to actually save money because you have to buy cleaning supplies and groceries for yourself. Yup it’s all happening right now and you need to learn how to adjust. These tips will help you keep your apartment from smelling like garbage and not burning it down to ashes.

1. Follow Buzzfeed Tasty

If you don’t already follow Buzzfeed Tasty on Facebook and Instagram this is a must. You can’t be eating Bagel Bites or different frozen foods every single night for breakfast, lunch and dinner you need to learn how to make real people food. Buzzfeed Tasty has very simple recipes for people like us who are still learning how to cook. I suggest the stuffed chicken parm…it’s very bomb.

2. Have an Abundance of Clorox Wipes

The reason why these are so essential to have is because they work miracles in two ways that you definitely need. Reason number one: they make it smell so clean. Whether you buy the scented or the original version this makes any place smell hella clean. Reason number two: they clean literally EVERYTHING and they won’t break the bank.

3. Keep the Shared Areas Clean

You can be the “messy roommate” but you need to keep your mess to yourself. The shared areas need to stay clean because that is the chill zone for everyone. Let’s be honest, you know you never want to leave your own apartment, so if you keep your living room clean people will want to go there. Then you never have to leave the comfort of your couch.

4. Have Surge Protectors Everywhere

Christmas lights, phone chargers, extra phone chargers, laptop chargers, TV’s and your fa These are essential to anyone’s room and need to be plugged in constantly. When you go into your living room everyone and has their phone plugged all at once, how do you solve this problem? The solution: have surge protectors everywhere, they’re not the cutest but they are essential.

5. Get Chrome Cast

This magical little device will save the hassle of having an ugly HDMI cord sticking out of your TV and you can stream Netflix and Hulu to your TVfrom your phone. It only goes for 30 dollars and it plugs right into your HDMI port. No hassle, no wires, just Netflix and Hulu all the time.

6. Always Remain Comfy

Having throw pillows and blankets are something you need to have because constantly being comfy is the key to a happy life. When you’re curled up on the couch “studying” you instantly go for the pillow and blanket. Also when your friends stay over and you need to be the good host your mother raised you to be, get that extra pillow and blanket so they can be just as comfy as you.

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State