5 ways to conserve your cash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As Thanksgiving Break draws near, most of our bank accounts are dwindling. We are attempting to conserve enough cash to make an ATM withdrawal from our summer savings. Its kind of scary how fast it goes when there is no source of revenue coming in. No one’s parents enjoy getting the call from us asking for money, so impress them by conserving that small amount we have left until we go home for break.

1.     Alcohol.
Instead of buying a bottle for yourself, ask a couple of your friends if they want to go in on something with you. This way you are all saving some money. Another way to save cash on alcohol is to drink less. With the semester drawing to a close, stay in one night each weekend to catch up on homework or study for upcoming tests. If you aren’t drinking as much, you aren’t spending as much.

2.     Fast Food.
We are all lazy college students that take the easy way out and grab Subway or Pizza Hut on the way back from class. Even if you cook yourself something one more time a week, you are saving about ten bucks. Make cooking fun with some friends b having a potluck dinner where everyone brings a dish. This is a cheap, fun way t hang out.       

3.     Use YOUR BANK’S ATM.
When it’s cold outside, we don’t like to walk anywhere. We especially don’t want to walk across campus to an ATM if there is one closer. Most ATMs charge a fee up to five dollars to take money out if you don’t have an account with them. Save your   money from those charges by using only your bank’s ATM. Take more money out each time so that you save yourself a trip in the near future and help resist your urge to use the ones in the dorm basements that charge you ridiculous fees.

4.     Put on a sweatshirt.
It is getting colder out as we move into November, and heating bills will start to rise. Heating your apartment is expensive, so cut the cost of your heating bill by not turning it up so high. When you are at class all day, turn it down. Why heat your apartment if no one is there? Put on some warm slippers and a hoodie instead of cranking the heat to save a substantial amount on next month’s heating bill.

5.     Keep track of your money.
Don’t make the mistake of over drafting your checking account. Most banks charge  incredible fees for going over even a few dollars. It’s an unnecessary waste of money that you can save by checking your accounts regularly or keeping a log of what you spend.

Shock your parents by using these tips to save what money you have left before break in a few weeks. They will be relieved that you haven’t called asking for “just a few more dollars, I promise”. Keep these tricks in mind for the end of next semester when you are hurting for cash too!

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.