5 rap songs that show how easy it is to become a rapper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you listen to today’s rap music, you’ve probably noticed by now how easy it is to become a rapper. Although rappers spend most of their time in the studio, you may question why their lyrics sound like nothing more than a newborn trying to speak. 

Although rap music used to be highly respected during the 90s, our generation of rappers have taught us that you can get rich off of making a song about anything… seriously, anything. Here are 5 popular songs in the rap game that prove this:  

1. G-Easy x Carnage Guala- Ft. Thirty Rack

And she want the guala guala  And she like the guala guala  And she want the guala guala  And she like the guala guala 

Okay, that’s enough – the artists say guala guala about 50 more times in the song. The lyrics are too explicit to discuss, but the point here is expressing their carefree lives as millennials. They take pride in having a lot of females and bragging about how much money they have…. that’s the typical rapper. If you can translate “guala guala” to English, you’ve just taken a step closer to becoming a rapper.  

2. Yo Gotti- Rake It Up Ft. Nikki Minaj  

In this song’s music video, several women, including Nikki Minaj, come out of a house wearing mini-skirts and start twerking while they proceed to literally rake up money off of the ground. Clearly, there seems to be no prerequisite for being a video girl. All you have to do is find the smallest piece of clothing in your closet and learn how to dance in heels while throwing money and making eye contact with the camera. This video also portrays the value of money. You can work for it or…you can twerk for it.

3. Danielle Bregoli- These Heaux

Can you guess who just signed a record deal with Atlantic Records? The annoying “catch me outside” girl from the Maury Show. If this isn’t proof of how easy it is to become a rapper, then I don’t know what else would convince you. When she says “these heaux” in her video, she is referring to her haters who criticize her for being too grown at only 14 years old. One lesson you can take away from this video is that it doesn’t take much to make it in the world of rapping.  

4. Lil Uzi Vert- Do What I Want  

Most millennials know the term “Yolo.” It means “you only live once.” Lil Uzi Vert shows this concept as he repeatedly explains in his 2 minute and 58 second video that he does whatever he wants. Do you ever wish you could quit school and live a lavish life with no regrets or financial struggles? That sounds like the perfect life, but unfortunately, life isn’t that sweet. However, if you ever decide to quit school and become a rapper, you will join a pool of other young people that all of a sudden have the same aspirations.  

5. Cardi B- Bodak Yellow 

A reality television star from “Love and Hip-Hop,” Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” recently made it to number one on the Rhythmic Songs airplay chart. Ever since her song came out, many girls around the world now want to be like Cardi. Be honest with yourself. Have you ever looked up the lyrics of her song and tried to learn them all? They’re quite catchy. When this song was played at the Black and White Bone party, everyone took out their phones and recorded themselves on Snapchat rapping to the song. If you participated, you understand how serious the females took the song.  

The above songs show that rap music has drastically changed over time. Do you remember the throwback songs of the 90s, when Tu Pac and Biggie were the greatest artists during the time? That was a time when people respected the rap game. Sadly, you don’t have to be talented any more to be rapper in 2017. Twerking and uttering words like “guala guala” is good enough.  

Star Johnson

Illinois State

I am a senior studying Journalism at Illinois State University and I hope to become a reporter for a big news company one day. I was a features reporter in the fall of 2016 where I wrote articles including profiles and events on campus. This semester I am a news reporter for The Vidette and I write articles for both the campus and the Bloomington-Normal Community. I am passionate about writing because I can express myself non-verbally which I think is a beautiful type of art.
Contributor account for Illinois State