samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Classes ISU Should Offer for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I think we can all agree that the required courses we have to take as college students can be extremely boring, uninteresting and seemingly irrelevant to your life. We have to take classes that sometimes have nothing to do with our major or our interests. Will I ever have to know statistics or biology five years down the road? Maybe if they taught us classes that matched up with our lives, we would pay more attention in class and actually get something out of an 8 a.m. gen-ed we were forced to take. Here are some better alternatives I thought up.

1. Hangover Education 101

Let’s be honest, sometimes college is going to involve drinking and sometimes people aren’t prepared for what they’re going to wake up to the next morning. Shouldn’t we have all had a

class to educate us on how to successfully survive the morning after? Taking notes on staying hydrated, what ibuprofen works the best, and picking out sunglasses to shield your eyes from the fluorescent dorm room lights would have been a lot more interesting and useful that taking a stats class using formulas I won’t remember next semester. 

2. Intro to Paying Adult Bills

Before college, a lot of us had never had to pay a real bill. Now that we are looking into getting our own places and paying taxes, suddenly the mandatory classes that taught us how to balance our checkbook freshman year of high school seems a little fuzzy. What we need is a refresher course for paying grown-up bills, not another history class.

3. Getting Ready In Under 10 Minutes II

We all know how to get ready quick, we’ve been seniors in high school who woke up 20 minutes before our first class started almost every day. But in college, rushing to get ready gets harder. Now we have to add in speed-walking across the quad and weather conditions that could make us late for anything we’re on our way to. A second-level class on furthering my speedy morning routine would have been nice. Topics include: 2 Minute Messy Bun, Makeup In Seconds, and Picking Out Outfits In The Dark While My Roommate Is Still Sleeping.

4. Emotionally Surviving Your First Year Of College

Emphasis on ‘Realizing You Gained The Freshman 15’ and ‘Having 5 Tests And A Paper Due In The Next Week’ are major topics in this mandatory freshman class I wish was offered to me.

5. Psychology of Broke Girls

Being poor with a closet full of t-shirts from my sorority by the end of my sophomore year is not ideal, but the road is not looking promising for me. I currently have five dollars to my name, six $15 greek t-shirts from the past three months alone, and leftover Chipotle in my mini-fridge. What is the psychology behind a girl’s ability to justify all of the above? How can this be stopped? Information I actually value.

Do any of these classes seem more interesting to you than the ones you are currently taking? Let us know any other classes you think should be offered in the comments below!

Rebecca Davis

Illinois State

New writer for HerCampus at Illinois State University
Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State