5 Challenges Long Distance and Army Girlfriends Face on Romantic Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you’re in a long distance relationship or have a boyfriend who is in the military, I’m sure you can relate to how hard it is being away from the person you love. On January 23rd, my boyfriend left for basic training, so I had no one to spoil and no one to treat me special anymore. It was very different for me, not being with my best friend on Valentine’s Day.

So from my experience, here is a list of challenges that resonated with me.

1. I have to go through two months without any communication from him, including one of the most important holidays for a girl.

That means no calls, no texts, just simple letters (yes, I know it sucks). It felt weird because this was the first time I was alone, but I had to treat it as a regular day.

2. I was not able to see him!

Normally on Valentine’s Day, he is the first ugly face I get to see — just kidding… —but it was hard knowing I could not hug and kiss him. I mean, long-distance couples already can’t see their significant others, but this felt like I was going through twice the pain.

3. On top of not being able to see him, I did not receive a letter on Valentine’s Day.

Luckily, I did receive one shortly after. It still was not the same, so it was sad when nothing had come. (By the way, as an Army girlfriend, you are always checking your mailbox.)

4. I was constantly reminded of all the gifts I wish I could have received.

I am sure everyone knows that jealous feeling of seeing other girls receive cute gifts and flowers from their boyfriends. Yes, that was definitely me this time, which brings me to my next point.

5. The whole day brought back old memories.

Every time I went on social media, I could not stop seeing other couples’ plans, and I kept thinking “I remember when we did that.” I missed that feeling of picking out your best outfit and getting all cute so you could go out to eat or go to the movies.

Even though I could not share this special day with him, I know he is doing it for a good cause, and I’m sure your significant other is as well. As the days go by, it becomes manageable, so just support them as best as you can!

Ariel McGee

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State