jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

19 Reasons It Is More Than Okay to be Single In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As a junior at Illinois State, I have realized that the best thing you can do for yourself (at some point throughout college) is to give yourself time to be single. A lot of women have this idea that since their parents met in college, they have to find their future husband, like, tomorrow. Personally, my parents did not meet in college. They had their fun and even though they went to the same school, they had zero regrets on not meeting until after college. Maybe I’m being biased, but I think it’s more than okay to be single in college, and here are 19 reasons why:

1. You don’t have to worry about whether your legs are shaved or not.

2. And you don’t feel shame if its been two (or even three) weeks.

3. You have a lot more time to yourself – A.K.A. more quality time with Netflix.

4. You don’t have to buy gifts for special occasions or worry about what to get him! Because well… he doesn’t exist!

5. You don’t have to worry about that girl who is on his Snapchat best friends list and has several Emojis next to her name.

6. Did I mention getting cheated on? If you’re single, that’s one less thing to ever worry about.

7. You don’t have to share your food. You eat that entire frozen pizza yourself – you do you girlfriend.

8. You get an entire queen bed to lie diagonally in every night.

9. Want to make out with that random at Chasers? Here’s to your dignity!

10. There are way more opportunities to be a social butterfly. Barn dance at U of I on Thursday? Sure. A fraternity date night next Saturday? Why not.

11. You can have as many guy friends as you want and not feel bad about it.

12. Body pillows are a lot more comfortable to cuddle with than people.

13. Speaking of cuddling, if you ever do get lonely, just call up your best friend and her boyfriend to fill that void when needed. Become a professional third-wheeler. I believe in you.

14. You don’t have to balance out time with him and time with your friends.

15. Go to whatever fraternity you want, when you want. Be the frat star you are deep down.

16. Chances are you’ll hit the gym more often. Not to mention, boyfriends feed you too much. Therefore, you’ll actually be skinnier when you’re single. Science.

17. Two words. Spring break. Rest In Peace, PCB.

18. You will be a strong independent woman who don’t need no man.

19. I could go on forever, but the point is that this is the time in your life to be completely selfish. Do what you want, with whom you want. You’ll never have to worry about anyone else’s opinion. Enjoy yourself now. You’ll find a decent guy in years to come – let’s hope.

Alexis Bauer

Illinois State

Lover of sarcasm and pizza.
Contributor account for Illinois State