This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Do you ever stop and wonder how fast time flies by? It felt like yesterday we were freaking out about picture day in Elementary school or if your crush circled “yes” or “no” to the most important note you ever wrote him. Lately, school has gotten so stressful that I often find myself saying, “If I just had one more day as a kid”. Here’s a few flashbacks to the good ol’ days of running around care free and only having to read 30 minutes a day as your homework.

1. Recess

The best part of your day. Sitting in class counting down the minutes before you could run like a wild animal. Seeing your best friend who was in a different classroom and filling her in on the drama of who cut you in line that day.

2. School Supplies

I’m pretty sure I lost some brain cells with sniffing scented markers. Spending over $100 on Lisa Frank folders and pencils, and you can’t forget the 94 crayon box that had a built in sharpener!

3. Gym time

Ahhh the sweet smell of burnt shoe rubber from playing freeze tag. The joy of making it out of gym class without a broken finger from scooter day. You knew it was going to be a good day when you walked in and saw the rainbow parachute.

4. School lunches

I used to have to beg my parents to let me have school lunch at least once a week; those pizza’s and mozzarella sticks were just too damn good.

5. Snacks

The 90’s had the best snacks hands down, I mean kids today will never know the joy of being able to DIP an Oreo stick in the filling.

6. Saturday morning cartoons

Waking up early and sacrificing sleep just to see what happens in Rugrats, Recess, and Ed Edd & Eddy.

7. No-tie laces

You know you had your life together when you didn’t have to tie your shoelaces. If you wore these around today, you would definitely get a few “WHAT ARE THOSE?!” thrown your way.

8. Book fairs

Getting to miss 20 minutes of class because it was that time of year again…book fairs! The smell of fresh books, fuzzy pens and erasers in the shape of hamburgers. What more could a kid want?

9. Hit Clips

Spending twelve dollars just to listen to 30 seconds of Jojo’s “Leave get out” was totally worth those extra minutes spent vacuuming for a higher allowance.

10.  Polly Pockets, Bratz, Barbies

Spending HOURS trying to get Polly Pockets clothes off her because they were made out of rubber, and if they didn’t break you were blessed.

But we’re still trying to answer one important question, why the hell did bratz not have feet?

11. Skip It’s

Screw the gym, who needs it when you just reached 200 skips on your Skip It.

12. Chuck E. Cheese

You knew you had to be at your friend’s birthday party if it was at Endless games, prizes, and who can forget ball pits!

13. THE CANDY!

Having to get a cavity filled every visit at the dentist because the candy was just too good to resist.

14. Butterfly clips/Scrunchies

You never could have a bad hair day when your butterfly clips in your hair.

15. Being outside

The most neglected thing of all, the outdoors. We would be outside from the time we woke up, to the time the street lights came on! The only time you were home was to eat, then you would run back outside to finish making that awesome chalk maze.

Contributor account for Illinois State