lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Benefits of A Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Whether it be a two-hour drive or a two-hour plane ride, being apart from the one who means the most is not easy. Long-distance relationships are not simple, and to most people they may seem silly; however being in one is the greatest decision I ever made. Looking in from the outside, this type of relationship may seem too difficult but there are so many benefits, and if you’re with the right one all of the little struggles are worth it.

1.  Time apart makes it new.

You know what is the most indescribable feeling ever? When you’re waiting at the airport and you see him coming down the escalator smiling at you. That first embrace feels so familiar, but at the same time so new because it’s been months since you’ve been in his arms. Being apart for months at a time builds up the anticipation and excitement of when you finally get to kiss him again, go to the movies, and be able to hug him and never let go.

2.  Communication.

Communication is key to any type of relationship, no matter if you’re dating someone miles away or if he lives on the floor above you. When being in a long-distance relationship, constant texting and talking is all you have. I have learned that constantly talking is healthy in these types of relationships because you can’t actually be there with them so telling him about you’re day becomes the highlight of your conversation.

3.  Appreciate the little things.

Being a student in a long-distance relationship means that you’re juggling a million things at once. So when you’re walking to class and he calls you just to talk because you both have such a busy schedule shows that the effort is there. On busy days, send him a funny Snapchat or tag him in a cute puppy video on Facebook. Every night you won’t have time to talk for hours and that’s okay as long as you do something small for him just so he knows you’re thinking of him.

4.  Going all out.

With Valentine’s Day coming up and if you’re lucky enough to be with your man, it gives you all the more reason to go big. Not seeing someone for so long means that when they finally get to see you, you want to look your best. Going all out means doing things you wouldn’t normally do on any average weekend. You want to make the most of time you have together. So buying a new outfit or going to a super fancy restaurant, makes the time together more fun. Ball out and go hard you don’t get to be with him like this all the time. 

5.  Surprising each other.

Something really special about a long-distance relationship is being able to surprise the other person. Pulling this off is not easy. There is a lot of trying to be sneaky to pull something like this off, but in the end it is so worth it. Going a good amount of time without seeing the one you care about most is very difficult, but when they go out of their way to get to you and you have no idea…so many tears. 

6.  More to talk about.

Being apart is a very big aspect of this type of relationships and even though most may think this aspect is purely negative, it does have benefits. Day to day, you and your boyfriend have completely different experiences. Being apart lets you live completely different lives yet technology allows you to still be involved in one another’s. Sharing about your day becomes more fun because of this. Talking about new things and different experiences you both have makes the conversation more interesting.

7.  Positive space.

We’ve all have or are that one friend who when she’s in a relationship she just disappears and no one ever sees her. The benefit to being in a long-distance relationship is that you can’t become that clingy girlfriend, (because let’s admit it at one point we all were). Having that space between you and your boyfriend may seem to others like a big complication when in actuality it’s healthy and it makes you miss them even more because of the space. 

8.  Skype date.

One thing that is extremely important in a long distance relationship is having Skype. My long-distance relationship thrives off of Skype. These nights are probably the most fun. Ordering the same food and watching the same movie while on Skype gives a sense of normalcy in your relationship. It’s also nice because you don’t have to actually get ready and do your hair and make-up. Skype dates are the best because it gives you something to look forward to, because at the end of the day you want to curl up and watch a movie with him and skype dates let you do just that. 

9.  Gifts.

Two words ladies: Care Packages. Getting and giving a care package is so rewarding and sweet. When making a care package you need to know the essentials of what do put inside. Something romantic (like “open when…” cards), something funny (an ugly picture of the both of you), and something sweet (like a shirt you know he would love). Getting a surprise gift or card is so sweet because you can see the time and effort they put into it just to see you smile. 

10.  Commitment.

A relationship like this takes a lot of will power and a lot of effort by both people, but they’re not impossible. When being in a long-distance relationship it is nice to have that sense of security, know they are so invested in you that the distance doesn’t matter what only matters is that they’re yours. Making time and putting in work should be present in every type of relationship, but when it comes to long distance you really have to go that extra mile for that person to show them how much you care. Being long-distance isn’t easy but when you find someone who makes all the missing worth it, you know this relationship is something real. 

Samantha Cedano

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State