Why I Love Living on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

When I got my first year dorm assignment, I wasn’t sure how I felt about living in Hirshson.  Would I be missing all the fun way up on the Hill?  Would I hate living with only girls?  Would I ever meet any guys?  Despite my worries, I quickly found that I love living on the Hill!  Although I probably won’t agree with this post in January, when I’ll probably never be leaving my dorm for fear of slipping on the ice and falling all the way down the Hill. But here are some reasons why I love living on the Hill! 

1. Fighting the freshman 15

The Hill might not look very taxing, but it’s actually steep and terrible.  Also, honestly, I’m not in very good shape, so every time I walk up the hill (plus three flights of stairs to get to my room), I’m completely out of breath.  Since I do this a few times a day, I’m hoping it’s balancing out the Dominoes and Saga ice cream that I’m eating all the time. The jury’s out on how much walking the Hill will actually help me stay healthy, but it’s definitely good to have extra exercise every day.

2. Is it a dealbreaker?

Living on the Hill also serves as a great litmus test for hookups/relationships/friendships/etc.  If someone will never walk up the Hill to meet you or walk you home, it shows that they aren’t good enough for you. Ditch them and find someone better!

3. GRL PWR

People always claim that living with all girls is terrible because everyone is catty and talks behind everyone else’s back. But it’s not usually like that at all! In a space with only girls, female friendships flourish, girls support and help each other, and, best of all, you don’t feel any pressure to hide your period products!  Not to mention that the Hill is a significant part of William Smith history and it’s nice to feel more connected to our college and all the women that paved the way to allow us to pursue our education.

4. Super Chill

JPR and Sherrill can be really fun, but it’s so nice to be able to come home from a party or classes to a chill dorm where you can just relax.  There’s no one messing with the exit signs or purposefully setting off the fire alarms or playing loud music right outside of your window (at least most of the time).  It’s also clean.  Well, that’s really up for debate considering there’s hair all over the shower, but it’s definitely still nicer than JPR! 

5. Wegmans and the Field House

The dorms down the Hill are more centrally located on campus, but the Hill is closer to the Field House so it’s less of a workout to go get in your workout. Also, the short distance to Wegman’s means that you don’t have as far to walk with your arms weighed down by grocery bags.  

Mary is a senior at HWS and the Senior Editor of the HWS Her Campus chapter. An English major and Writing Colleagues minor, she plans to work in the publishing industry after college. On campus, Mary works as a student writer at the Office of Communications and is a member of the One-on-One Friendship Club. In her free time, Mary likes reading, writing, and running.