What Friendship Means to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

On March 1st of last spring, my mom’s best friend’s daughter was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. She’s only 11 years old. Although I was away at college when this news first came out, I felt the pain that my mother was suffering because of course, my mom is my best friend. I wasn’t close with Sophia, but I wanted to do everything I possibly could to help this little girl and her family. When I came home for the Summer in May I watched my mom and her other friends run around town getting donations, dropping off “armsaroundsophia” bracelets and t-shirts to houses all over the town, traveling to London and sitting in a hospital room for 48 hours at time so Sophia can receive treatment, and simply just being there for their friend, Jenn. I’ve always heard the terms like “that’s what friends are for” or “I have the best friends in the whole world” but the way in which my mom and her friends support and continue to support their best friend is beyond inspiring. I have the best role model I could ever ask for.

As the summer continued on I helped my mom with the fundraising and I was honored to do so. It sort of became our “thing” and there’s nothing else I would rather be doing. I then began to spend time with Sophia and her twin Annabelle. I never loved getting my nails done, painting pottery, or going to Starbucks more than I do with these girls. I am so blessed and honored to be friends with the Smith family. I never thought I would be such good friends with two 11 year olds, but I absolutely love it! Annabelle’s daily snapchats and Sophia’s texts make my day that much better!

When people see my “armsaroundsophia” bracelet, stickers, or t-shirts I tell them the story of this brave young girl, and I continue to get responses telling me how good of a friend my mother is. I have truly learned what friendship means. The way in which the Marblehead community has come together to support Sophia and her family is incredible, and I am so proud to be from this town.

My name is Caroline Ackerman and I am a sophomore at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. I am majoring in Media and Society and I am from Marblehead, Massachusetts, a small town on the water located just outside of Boston. I enjoy doing yoga, traveling, and spending time with family and friends.