What To Do When You Cant Stop Procrastinating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

It’s that time of the year when it feels like everything is due and it all came out of nowhere. You have no idea how you will get everything done, and you can’t seem to be able to start anything.

I am a victim of procrastination, and I always tell myself that I can get it done later, but the work and responsibilities just keep piling up. Although I haven’t mastered the art of not procrastinating, here are some tips and tricks that might help you feel like your getting something done.

1. Make a List

Sometimes writing everything that you have to do out can make everything seem less overwhelming. When works starts to pile up I often make a list so I can physically see the things that I have to do. This can help to make everything seem much more manageable. So add everything that you need to get done to a list and once you start checking things off you’ll be done with everything in no time.

1. Don’t Worry About Finishing, Just Try to Start

When I procrastinate I normally worry the most about trying to get everything done, but being so focused on the end product makes it so much harder to start. In order to make everything feel a lot less overwhelming, think about starting your work. You will be surprised at how easy finishing everything is once you get the ball rolling. Often times tasks seem a lot harder or more tedious before you start, but soon you realize that you can do it.

1. Reward Yourself

After you’ve started your work, things can still sometime seem a bit overwhelming so make sure to reward yourself for the hard work that you have done. Treat yourself for being so accomplished and productive!

1. Do Some Productive Procrastination

If you still can’t bring yourself to start your work, try to get some other stuff done. You could clean your room, do laundry, or catch up on non-school related things. Although you wont be doing the things that you need to do immediately, you will still be doing something productive. This productive procrastination might inspire you to get your work done. I know that when I start doing any work, it become easier to just keep working.

1. Take Breaks

Remember once you start your work that it is still important to take breaks. It can be very daunting to start all your work at once and not stop until you are finished. Try and break up the work into sections separated by breaks so the work doesn’t feel as overwhelming.

1. Prioritize Your Tasks

If you end up procrastinating too much and don’t have enough time to finish everything, make sure you prioritize your work. It doesn’t make sense to only do the unimportant stuff when you don’t have enough time to do everything. When you make a to do list, be sure to write the most important stuff first, or rank your work from most to least important. Prioritization is key to accomplishing things; if you get the harder or more tedious stuff done first, then the rest won’t seem as hard. Remember that you can’t always do everything, but that’s okay!

Hopefully this helps you think about how to manage your time and productivity. Good luck during this midterm season – and we will be on Fall break before you know it!

Hannah Bini is a senior at HWS and is majoring in European History with a minor in Latin. She currently lives in Portland, OR, but is originally from Pennsylvania.