Potential Reads When You’re Not Reading for School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

We all know one of the most stressful things about college is the reading assignments; such a huge amount of reading in such a short time really puts pressure on students no matter what year you are.  Even worse (fellow bibliophiles can relate), you have little to no time to read what you actually want to read, whether that be novels, articles, or books of poetry. Last year was my first at college, so I was quickly subjected to this heightened influx of assigned reading.  That’s why I spent as much time as possible reading books over the summer.  This is a comprehensive list of the books I read (completely random, just my interest), my reviews, and whether or not I’d recommend those works to others.

1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

I’ve had this book recommended to me by at least half my state so I thought I would give a try.  This YA novel stars Aristotle, or Ari, Mendoza, a 15-year-old living in Texas in the year 1987; he meets another teenager named Dante and in the process of becoming friends, they each go through struggles related to their families, Mexican identities, and sexualities.  Stylistically, it’s a very unique book, where some points come out more lyrical, like poetry, rather than like a normal narrative.  However, it still contains a definitive plot line and narrator.  Ari’s voice is Holden Caulfield-esque in its sincerity and bluntness, yet is more outwardly depressing.  This book is not a wholly uplifting story, nor does it contain a plotted string of events; rather, a lot of its power is in its monotony, with certain events breaking that cycle that are hugely important to the characters.

I was not in love with Ari’s narration (though I adore Holden Caulfield!) because, for me, it seemed sometimes too forceful and almost self-diagnosing in a way.  Although, at his age and based on his experiences, it can be thought of as a very accurate representation of discovery of self.  I’d give this novel a 6.5/10 (though it should be noted it has received incredibly high marks from other critics and even prestigious awards like the Stonewall Book Award and Michael L. Printz Award, to name a few).

2. The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman

This is the second book in the Invisible Library trilogy, and I was overjoyed to get my hands on it.  I was hooked on this series from the beginning, and before even getting into the summary, I highly recommend it.  The series focuses on Irene, a spy for a secret inter-dimensional society known as the Librarians, their mission being to save and/or protect certain works in different dimensions.  This installment follows Irene from a version of Victorian London to an alternate city of Venice to rescue her apprentice, Kai, from the chaotic Fae.

Again, I absolutely adore this book. Cogman combines adventure with mystery, fantasy, a little romance, and an overwhelming intelligence.  I found myself amazed by the detail surrounding the complex world of the Librarians, the alternative dimensions, and the quick dialogue. Before I could even come up with questions about the narrative, Irene would think of them and answer them in rapid succession.  The only potential downside is that it requires the reader to pay close attention to the text due to the sheer amount of intricate information present, so I rate this novel an 8.5/10.

3. A Hundred Thousand Worlds by Bob Proehl

Bob Proehl did a reading during the spring semester at HWS last year, and I was so intrigued by his book that I bought it this past summer and devoured it.  He has written a collection of artfully intertwined stories about a washed-up actress and her son, a struggling indie comic book illustrator, a professional comic book writer, and a host of other characters that all connect to comic book conventions. Proehl provides an in-depth exploration of their lives, goals, motivations, and even of their lives in the past.  The main characters (former actress Val and her son, Alex) travel across the country so Val can give an unknowing Alex away to the father he hasn’t seen in over five years.  It is equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking, informative and emotional and I could not put it down. Though it does contain a great deal of comic book and television industry lingo, it is always explained, and I (who has never even picked up a comic book) was able to understand it all very well.

I rate A Hundred Thousand Worlds 8/10 and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys realistic fiction that is true and written with heart.

I hope this short list has given some of you a few reads to look forward to this winter or summer break!

Maddy Conroy is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges and is an English major and Writing and Rhetoric minor. She has always enjoyed reading, writing, and photography (perhaps a bit too much). She is Co-President of HWS's Her Campus chapter as well as President of the One-on-One Friendship Club on campus.