Must-See Cities in Italy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

After having lived in Italy for a little over two months now, and having done my fair share of traveling within the country, I like to think I know Italy somewhat decently. Yes all of Europe is insanely beautiful and there are so many places to see and things to do, but trust me if you dedicate some time to Italy you will see a little bit of everything and fall in love with this country as much as I have. 

ROME

First on the list obviously has to be dedicated to my beautiful host city. Yes, there is so much hype around Rome, but you can not come to Italy and not spend time in this beautifully historic city. Being around tourists does get annoying sometimes, but you still need to check everything out for yourself because a lot of touristy sites (i.e. Trevi Fountain) will never be more beautiful than when you see them with your own eyes. However, also make sure you save some time away from all the crowds in this city, that’s when you really begin to fall in love with it. Wander down some cobble street, and I promise you will stumble upon a cute little restaurant where you will have some of the best pasta or pizza of your entire life.

POSITANO

Positano may just be the most beautiful place I’ve ever had the opportunity to visit. Between the gorgeous beaches, the Mediterranean sea, and the rainbow colored houses lining the cliffs, I know you will never find a more beautiful place to eat seafood and watch the sunset. While there you are also perfectly located to visit the rest of the Amalfi Coast which you definitely do not want to miss out on.

VENICE

Venice is a real life fantasy world. The roads are water and you travel everywhere by boat, but be aware that this city is extremely expensive. You can see real Murano glass being blown and you can see the island of Burano which is a real life cotton-candy land with all the houses essentially a different color of the rainbow. But also be aware that the city doesn’t smell the best, just take my word for that! And also keep in mind they say Venice may be gone within the next 10 or so years, so it’s definitely something to see before it’s under water.

NAPLES

The most important thing you need to know about Naples is that this city is where pizza was born.

FLORENCE

Florence is another must see city; beautiful, historical, easy to navigate plus some great shopping you can’t miss out on! 

Mikaela Benny is a junior native of Northern New York at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. She is currently pursuing a double major in Media & Society and Writing & Rhetoric. When not reading or writing, you can usually find her anywhere on campus watching some kind of sport, preferably football or hockey though.