jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Spend the Holidays!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

As we are all acutely aware, the holidays are fast approaching. But as we are painfully aware, it is the busiest time of year, especially for students.  Securing classes for next semester, studying for finals, writing papers, ordering gifts for your friends and family, etc. can really take a toll.  As great as it is to be swept into the magic of the season, lots of people nowadays can feel exhausted keeping up with everything to do and just feel relieved the holidays have passed. We are also at a greater risk to feel more disconnected from our families and friends; it’s a product of our age and our environment, for sure.  The holidays can’t feel like they once did when we were children, but that doesn’t mean they can no longer feel special.  Added to this is the workaholic era we live in, where we can always be connected to our work and responsibilities without a break. To sum it up, I wanted to create a short list of fun activities to do with your family and/or friends that can get everyone in the spirit of the holidays, not involving (too much) technology. 

1. Create Christmas Ornaments

There are lots of ways to make your own ornaments; the goal is to create something special and important to you and/or your family.  This website has some great ideas to get you started!

http://www.countryliving.com/diy-crafts/how-to/g1070/easy-to-make-christmas-ornament-crafts/?slide=1&thumbnails

2. Make Your Own Dreidel and Play!

Modeling clay works best for dreidel-making and it can be written on with marker.  These instructions are directed at a parent helping their child make dreidels, but that doesn’t decrease its functionality for others. Enjoy a fun game when you’re done!

https://www.education.com/activity/article/make-clay-dreidel/

3. Go Ice Skating, Sledding or Skiing! 

Don’t forget to enjoy the great outdoors during the holidays! If there’s no snow for sledding or skiing near you, a local rink can provide some great ice for you and your family and friends!  Don’t worry if you’re not an expert; as long as everyone is having a good time, that’s all that matters.

4. Make Latkes 

Latkes are a delicious way to celebrate Hanukkah, so here’s a detailed recipe on how to make the perfect latkes for your holiday.

https://toriavey.com/how-to/how-to-make-crispy-latkes/

5. Bake Some Delicious Holiday Treats

Christmas cookies never fail to get us excited about the holidays, plus you can easily make lots to share with everyone you know!  This website has all the Christmas cookie recipes you’ll ever need, so get to it!

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/dishes/cookie-recipes/christmas-cookies

Sufganiyot (Israeli jelly doughnuts) are a Hanukkah tradition in many households, and this recipe looks positively scrumptious!  Happy baking!

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/sufganiyot-israeli-jelly-doughnuts-10818

6. Attend Local Holiday Festivals

With tree-lighting ceremonies, city holiday festivals, holiday light displays, you really can’t go wrong. The abundance of activities can, of course, depend on where you live or where you go to school, but there is usually at least one fun thing your local city comes up with for the holidays.  For anyone living in New York’s Capital District like me, I highly recommend the Holiday Lights in the Park in Albany’s Washington Park, the Victorian Stroll in Troy, and any Christmas show at Proctors Theatre, the Palace Theatre, and the Troy Music Hall.

7. Christmas Caroling

Spread some holiday cheer by singing your heart out for all to hear!  Or, if you’re like me, sing your heart out (while being safely indoors). Music is the perfect to get everyone in the holiday mood. Extra points if someone you know plays a musical instrument and can provide accompaniment, but a cappella or with the radio is just fine too!

8. Decorate/Paint a Menorah 

If you live near a pottery-painting establishment, consider painting your own menorah! Paint in solid colors, or get creative and make a zany one unique to your family!

9. Volunteering

Animal shelters, hospitals, soup kitchens, Ronald McDonald houses, the Salvation Army, etc. are always looking for more volunteers around the holidays. If you can’t help out in person, making cards and buying gifts for those that need it most (like Toys for Tots, or children in hospitals and homeless shelters) are a great way to spread the kindness and cheer of the season! 

10. Making Paper Snowflakes

This is a holiday classic, no matter how old you are.  It’s easy, fun, and pretty much everyone can participate.

Maddy Conroy is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges and is an English major and Writing and Rhetoric minor. She has always enjoyed reading, writing, and photography (perhaps a bit too much). She is Co-President of HWS's Her Campus chapter as well as President of the One-on-One Friendship Club on campus.