Getting Through the Spring Semester: Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

We all know that the weather here in “Sunny Geneva” isn’t always the best. Especially right now when snow is falling from the sky and finals are creeping up ever so slowly, the environment can feel downright morbid. As a sophomore student and local resident who is all too familiar with Western New York’s frequent weather fluctuations, here is my advice on how to survive the homestretch before summer break.

1. Appreciate the weather as it comes. Trust me, I know how disheartening it can be to see the weather go from 60 degrees and sunny, to blistery the next day, but just keep in mind that as quickly as the weather turns cold it can turn warm again. Appreciate the warm days when they come and be sure to catch some vitamin D when you can.

2. Try to take a road trip or two. Sometimes just getting off campus for a few hours is enough to change your attitude. There are so many fun things to do this time of year in our local area that it’s a shame to stay in Geneva the whole time. Stop by some museums or shopping areas in Rochester, just a half an hour away. Maybe tour the Women’s Rights Museum in Seneca Falls, just twenty minutes from campus. Or if the weather is nice, check out some of the awesome hiking spots in the Finger Lakes National Forest with your friends.

3. Attend some fun events on campus. Getting off campus isn’t feasible for everyone, especially if you don’t have a car. Luckily our school has a lot of fun things on campus during the spring semester. A lot of clubs have festivals and formals this time of year, so try to check a few out if you can! Attending events like these can give you a fun excuse to dress up and/or enjoy the outdoors and forget about classwork for a bit.

4. Don’t lose your spirit. Among all these tips, the common goal is to keep your optimism alive. It’s super important to guard yourself against that end-of-semester burnout and keep your grades in check. Doing well academically comes from doing well emotionally too. Remember to take time for yourself as school days dwindle. Depending on how you cope with things, taking time for yourself is going to look different for everyone. Taking a night off to sit in my dorm with a book is totally an important aspect of my self-care routine, but it may not be for everyone either. Just remember to give yourself permission to do things that make you feel at peace every once in a while.

Alex is a first-year at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. She plans to double major in comparative literature and Russian area studies, hopefully to pursue a career in academia after graduation. On campus she participates in the wind ensemble, the drama club, and a club called One-On-One Friendship where she uses video chat to help teach Indonesian students how to speak English. She has always loved reading and writing, and thinks HerCampus is great outlet for her to share those passions with the internet!