The Emotional Process of Watching Stranger Things 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

SPOILERS AHEAD.  I finally finished watching Stranger Things, and it was amazing, and it’s really all I can think about.  Here are some of my thoughts about the season. 

Episodes 1 and 2:  If you look at a picture of the kids side by side from the first episode a year ago, they look so different. Wow! They’re real people now!  Our kids are all grown up!  Also, I was living for Eleven’s curly hair and the father/daughter relationship with her, and Hopper was the sweetest thing ever. Also, poor Will!  He can’t catch a break.

Episodes 3 and 4:  The death of Mews the cat was horrible. I’m honestly still reeling from it. All I want to do is go home and hug my cat and make sure she hasn’t been eaten by a lizard thing from the Upside Down. I was angry that Eleven saw Max with Mike (I mean, who wasn’t?! That was a huge fake out) but also this was when I actually began to like Max. She’s iconic. 

Episodes 5 and 6:  Can you imagine being Max when Lucas told her everything that had happened?  I would honestly get a restraining order.  It’s amazing that she later believed him.  Also, I will admit that Hopper trying to contact El made me cry and I have no shame, it was emotional. This was also around the beginning of Steve’s redemption arc, which was hands down the best thing to come out of season 2. I think we all support his transformation from the jerk boyfriend to babysitter extraordinaire. And he did it all with perfect “Farah Fawcett” hair. 

Episodes 7 and 8:  Bob’s death was the rudest part of the entire season.  It had been spoiled for me but I still didn’t expect it to be as horrible as it was.  Honestly, I think Joyce is going to have to be in therapy for like another five years because of that. Seriously though they should all go to therapy; this season was traumatic. I want to go to therapy after that.  Also, as much as I miss the overalls and floppy hair, Eleven’s makeover made me happier than I’ve ever been. Vigilante justice isn’t cool but the 80s Punk aesthetic in episode 8 was killing it.  Kali was a really badass character and I hope she comes back into the show, preferably in a more positive light.

​Episode 9: Mike’s face the moment Eleven walked through the door almost killed me.  I don’t know why I, an eighteen-year-old college student, care so much about the relationship between two fictional thirteen year olds but I blame the Duffer Brothers.  Speaking of which the Snow Ball was adorable and everything we could have hoped for.  Shoutout to Nancy for dancing with Dustin because he was breaking my heart and I needed him to be happy.  The Mind Flayer at the end was a bit of a downer, but I’m pumped to see what happens with it.

In conclusion, I’m wrecked, and when does season 3 come out!? 

Mary is a senior at HWS and the Senior Editor of the HWS Her Campus chapter. An English major and Writing Colleagues minor, she plans to work in the publishing industry after college. On campus, Mary works as a student writer at the Office of Communications and is a member of the One-on-One Friendship Club. In her free time, Mary likes reading, writing, and running.