Campus Celebrity: Caroline Conboy ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Name: Caroline Conboy

Class Year: 2017

Major: Psychology

Minor: Education and Child Advocacy

Hometown: Saratoga Springs, NY

Favorites:

Class at HWS: Mandala Painting

Spot on campus: The Geneva 2020 back porch 

Movie: The Sandlot

Food at Saga: Heavenly Hash ice cream

Celebrity Crush: Derek Jeter

HC: How long have you been swimming competitively? 

CC: I started swimming competitively at age 9 with the local YMCA team… I actually cried everyday on the way to swim practice for the first two weeks but when my mom asked if I wanted to quit I said I wanted to stick with it. 

HC: Why did you choose to come to HWS?

CC: There were a lot of things that appealed to me about HWS. I really enjoyed the idea of being a part of an all women’s athletics program and I appreciated that there seemed to be a balance between academics, athletics, and outside life for all the athletes. I was also really interested in the education program. It’s very unique and allows students to learn through field placements in the local schools. 

HC: What was it like competing at Nationals? 

CC: Competing at Nationals was an incredible experience. My goal has always been to make it to the meet but I don’t know that I ever understood what exactly the meet would be like until I got there. There are so many swimmers from all over the country and I witnessed some of the fastest swims I have ever seen. It was so exciting to be a part of such an energetic atmosphere. I also really appreciated all of the support I received from friends, family, and the HWS community. The “Go Caroline” video that was sent to me, where people from all aspects of our community were wishing me good luck was so special and I can’t express how grateful I am for the support. 

Watch the “Go Caroline” video below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fup4V48g4-A

HC: What’s your favorite memory as a William Smith Heron so far?

CC: It’s hard to pick just one, but one that definitely stands out took place this year at our State meet. My last swim of the week was the 200-yard breaststroke, which is one of my best events and I was seeded first. As I dove in, my goggles fell off, which if you ask any swimmer they will tell you is one of the worst things that could happen to you in a race. I was distracted and panicked, but had to keep swimming. As I came to the wall to turn, I heard my teammates louder than ever before. I could feel their energy as I was swimming and realized I was swimming for them. I finished the race and won by only 0.20 seconds. My teammates were right there to give big hugs and I have never felt so proud to be a Heron. 

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

CC: I am the co-president of the College Experience Outreach club, which is an organization to help get individuals with disabilities involved with activities on our campus. I am also a part of Big-Brothers Big-Sisters, where I act as a “big” to a local 11 year-old girl. 

HC: What is your pre-meet ritual?

CC: I have tried so many different things over the years, but the thing I have found to work best is just staying relaxed and trying not to over-think anything. After warming up for my race, my number one goal is to keep my body warm, so I grab some sweats and then just sit with my teammates. They are great at making me laugh to help keep my mind off of the race. 

HC: Are there any goals you want to accomplish during your final season as a Heron next year?

CC: I am hoping to make it back to the national meet, but I am really just looking forward to enjoying my last season of swimming with my teammates. I am hoping to have fun and work just as hard as I always have. The times will take care of themselves.

HC: How do you handle the stress of being a student athlete?

CC: Honestly I think being an athlete really helps my academics and reduces my stress. If there is ever something stressful happening in my life, I look forward to going to the pool and practicing hard. Once we walk through those doors to Bristol pool, everything outside doesn’t matter for the moment. The only thing we have to think about is swimming. It is actually a great stress release. 

Haleigh is a sophomore at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS), where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Media and Society with a minor in Writing and Rhetoric. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, Haleigh is an avid skier, competing at nationals in Oregon and helping the Hobart and William Smith ski team to a spot in the top ten across the entire nation. She is also an active member of the William Smith Club Soccer Team as well as the Women’s Collective Club. Haleigh is obsessed with the TV show "30 Rock" and wants to be just like Tina Fey. Hence, she aspires to eventually be a comedy sketch writer for shows such as Saturday Night Live.