nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things I’ve Learned During my First Seven Weeks of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

As cliche as it sounds, college is a huge change. During my senior year of high school, I had countless free periods during which I’d go home, sit with my dogs, and nap. Now, I’m on my own in the world and I’ve learned so many things about myself and college life in general. Below are some of the pearls of wisdom I’ve picked up since I’ve been here at HWS.

1. Being an Introvert in a “Loud Dorm” is OK

I have always been introverted. Socializing is exhausting, and my way of recharging is being by myself. In the infamous JPR (Jackson, Potter, and Rees), I live in Potter right across from the girl’s bathroom. I’ve learned that it is okay to sit in my room by myself sometimes rather than sitting in the common room with friends. While I try my hardest to be with people as much as possible, I’ve come to realize that vegging in my dorm room is perfectly acceptable. 

2. Doing Laundry is a Hassle

Back home, I was spoiled by my wonderful parents doing my laundry multiple times a week. Now, I look at my laundry basket overflowing in my closet trying to find time where I can use the washer and dryer without leaving the dorm, missing the end of the cycle, and someone tossing my clothes out of the dryer onto the floor. A quick word to the wise: Sunday is usually the calmest day to chill and do laundry, but everyone has the same thought! Machines are crowded, so try to find time in between classes or on a week night.

3. Treat Yourself Every Now and Then

During the week, it’s hard to find people to eat lunch with since everyone has such crazy schedules. My Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are very relaxed; I only have one class at 11:15 am. Most Fridays I find that I reward myself for making it through another week by buying lunch at The Café of ABP instead of Saga, where I normally eat. It keeps me motivated, and it’s a treat, so I get to save the maximum amount of Snack Money during the week! 

4. It’s OK to Call Home Often

HWS is only 2 hours from home for me. My sister, who usually goes to Denison in Granville, Ohio, is currently studying abroad in Copenhagen. My family and I are super close, and I speak to them as much as I possibly can. During the day, I’ll call my mom and dad to see how they’re doing, and at nights, I’ll Facetime them to see my adorable dogs. My sister and I send each other pictures asking what our captions should be and if our photos are cute enough to post on Instagram. I took advantage of the invaluable time I had with all of them over the summer.

5. College Friends are Different Than High School Friends

I think everybody had at least one, what I like to call, “class friend” in high school: a person who you’re only friends with in class and doesn’t acknowledge you outside of the classroom. My friends at college are like family to me. We eat meals together, watch movies all the time, and chat in each other’s rooms. Many high school friends are only people who you were friends with since you had many classes together, but I barely have classes with my “core group” of friends in college. It’s important to keep in touch with high school friends so when that person you graduated with does something crazy, you can reminisce and discuss with someone who understands!

6. You Don’t Have to Go Out to Have a Good Time

As I mentioned before, I’m an introvert. Going to parties has never been my thing. On Friday and Saturday nights, my friends and I find ourselves going out to dinner, playing cards, watching movies, and dancing in one of our dorm rooms. These are quality times with people that I’ve become so close to, and I know that I won’t regret going out every single weekend of my college years. 

7. Geneva is my Home

​Over fall break, I went back to Binghamton, but it didn’t feel right. Granted, I moved there my junior year of high school, two years ago, so I don’t have very deep connections there. Sure, I was raised in Virginia and my parents live in Binghamton, but Binghamton is not my home, it’s just where I go on breaks. It was great to be back with my family, but the entire time I was just longing to be back in Geneva eating (arguably) the best burritos at Char. Now when people ask me where I live, I confidently reply: “Geneva, NY”. 

I can’t wait to see what other lessons I learn during the rest of my first year of college. Who knows, maybe I’ll even learn how to make the food at Saga more edible!

Rachel is a first-year at Hobart and William Smith Colleges and is majoring in Media and Society. On campus, she is apart of HerCampus and Spoon U, as well as serving as Public Relations Officer on the Campus Activites Board. When not taking photos, you can find Rachel spending time with her family and friends, admiring dogs, or eating macaroni and cheese.