7 Life Lessons You’ll Bring Back to School if You Worked at Camp This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

7 Life Lessons You’ll Bring Back to School if You Worked at Camp this Summer

Working at summer camp is a great way to spend your 3 months of break. Not only do you make lifelong friendships, but you get to watch campers grow and learn about themselves and others. We spend endless sunny (and rainy) days singing songs and playing games, all while being responsible for other peoples’ children. Sometimes it seems like the things that we learn in the bubble that is summer camp could never be relevant to the outside world, but the things we learn aren’t always as obvious as the words to a new camp song or a new friendship bracelet stitch; a lot of the skills we gain stay with us much longer and help us grow into the people we are now. Here are 7 life lessons that you’ll bring back to school if you worked at camp this summer:

1. You Can Handle More Than You Think You Can

Working at summer camp gives you a whole new sense of responsibility; for both yourself and for the kids! Your comfort zones are always being tested, but if there’s anything you’ve come away with after two months of camp, it’s that the things you were the most nervous about that became the same things that you learned the most from. So, bring on the new school year… you got this!

2. Fake It ‘Til You Make It

At camp, even the most fun moments are matched with some pretty challenging situations: even when things don’t go as smoothly as you hoped, one of the best ways to get through any problem is to act as though you know exactly what you’re doing! Confidence is key, and positive attitude changes everything. When you find yourself in a tricky situation, keep your head high and a smile on your face. You’ll get through it!

3. You Get What You Give

Camp teaches us that what you get out of an experience is directly impacted by how much you’re willing to put into it. We’re always throwing ourselves into weird activities and crazy games. Back at school, that means pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and trying new things! Taking chances can result in some really rewarding experiences. Try out a new sport or join a club: you’ll at least meet some new people, and you might even find yourself loving something totally new to you!

5. Alone Time Is Key to Sanity

Being surrounded by other staff and campers all the time is mostly fun, but it’s also exhausting — so, so exhausting. That can happen in your social life at school too! If you never take time for yourself, it can get overwhelming. Especially with our busy schedules, between classes, sports, and just catching up with friends, it is really important to make sure that you take some quiet time for yourself to relax. People are great, but sometimes you just need to recharge.

6. People Can Change

My relationships with campers and other staff members evolved so much over my time at camp. This can happen with our college friends too! Everyone grows and matures so much over our four years here at school, and we all have such valuable experiences that shape our time here. People can change, and you might change too! That is totally okay, and exactly what college is for.

7. Limiting Your Use of Technology Can Be Healthy

One of my favorite parts of camp was being unplugged. Not having constant access to my cell phone, the Internet, and a TV made it much easier to be present. Sometimes it seems impossible to navigate college without our technology, and it is definitely impossible to abandon technology altogether when we’re trying to succeed in college. But, if there’s anything we’ve learned from a summer away, it’s that putting our phones down can be a great way to reconnect with those around us. It’s important to be present, because these four years really do fly by!

Sara is a rising senior at HWS Colleges: majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing, and minoring in comparative literature, as well as studying to be certified as an English teacher. She shares her time between classes, writing, club sports teams, and just trying to survive & thrive in these 4 short college years.