5 Ways to Get the Classes YOU Want…Even After Registration Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

We all know how stressful Registration Day can be every year, but what about the aftermath when you do not get the classes that you want after countless hours of planning and re-planning your course schedule? After clicking the enroll button at 7:00 a.m. to sign up for classes, you may only receive one class that you actually want to take. So how do you ensure that you will get the courses that you want to take or need to take to graduate on time? Here are FIVE tips to getting into the courses that you want, even after Registration Day!

1. Stalk your professors. Didn’t get into that Economics class that you need as a pre-requisite for your major, or are stuck on a wait list? Show the professor you are interested! Emailing professors is an awesome way to reach out to them and let them know that you are interested in their course. If you did not make the cut come Registration Day, ask if you can be written in as an overload. Professors like to see a student that is interested in what they are teaching. While you want to avoid actually harassing the faculty, a couple emails to get their attention will not hurt anyone.

2. Troll PeopleSoft. The Drop/Add period is a crucial time for students when finalizing their course load for the upcoming semester. Make sure that you check PeopleSoft on a daily basis. You never know when someone might drop a class, leaving an empty spot in the course. There are openings in classes up until a week after classes start when everyone must finalize their schedule for the semester, about a week after classes start. You never know when that Media & Society class might open up! For all you know, it could be at 9:00 p.m. before the first day of class.

3. Making sure you are on the wait list. Did not get into the course of your choice? Make sure you go back on PeopleSoft and put yourself on the wait list. Several positions can open up in classes during the Drop/Add period, and this is a perfect opportunity to move up on the wait list or even get into the class. While this entails some luck, sometimes professors are willing to overload you into the course if you are on the wait list list as opposed to students who are not.

4. Show up to class on the first day. An even better way to get off a wait list and into a course is to show up on the first day of class. Most professors feel worse turning down a student in person than over email. If you cannot sit in on their class because you are currently enrolled in another, find out their office hours and talk to them face-to-face. Sometimes professors will drop students who do not show up to their class on the first day and will give their seats to those who sit in on the class.

5. Ask for help. If you still can’t seem to get into the class you want after checking PeopleSoft more than Facebook and emailing your professor, consider asking your Academic Advisor, the Department Chair, and other professors for help. Professors want enthusiastic and hardworking students and sometimes it is nice to have another professor vouch that for them. Sometimes professors are willing to do their faculty peers a favor and take a student under their wing. Another good person to approach is the Department Chair. If you go and talk to the Department Chair, sometimes they will convince a professor to find a spot for you in their course, or to let you know when a seat opens. They will often help you find other options to fulfill your requirements and course needs so that you do not have a terrible semester ahead of you.

It can definitely be stressful trying to make sure you fulfill all eight goals and the major courses that you need to graduate on time, but don’t be worried, just make sure to take into consideration these five tips and keep calm and search on!

Julianne is junior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS), where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with a double minor in Media & Society and the Writing Colleagues Program.  In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Julianne is also a Writing Colleague on campus, and is the Publicity Chair for HWS Votes.  She is obsessed with her dog, Joelle, and loves to follow politics.  She hopes to one day work for a major news outlet that focuses on government and politics.