Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Humboldt Features

Dressing for Humboldt

By Sabina Gallier
September 10, 2012 - 12:00pm

School is back in session. You’ve got your pens, paper and books, but how is your wardrobe doing? If you’re new to Humboldt County and Humboldt State University, you may have noticed something a little dreary — the weather. Infamously known as “Hills and Stairs University,” HSU has its share of cold days and marching up all these stairs when the weather outside is frightful isn’t exactly a walk in the park. While living here might mean that you can’t rock a crop top and short shorts every day, don’t throw your warm weather staples away! Make them Humboldt friendly with these tips. READ MORE

Spread the Word to End the Word

By Zoe Berman
May 2, 2012 - 3:29pm

Young people around the world are taking a stand and raising awareness of the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the words “retard” or “retarded” and are helping encourage others to think before they speak. READ MORE

5 Reasons to Stay in Humboldt Over the Summer

By Zoe Berman
May 2, 2012 - 3:11pm

You just aced your last final. You turned in that 12-page research paper. You sold your textbooks back to the bookstore. Let the summer begin! Are you going to pack your bags and head back to mom and dad’s ‘til August 20? No! You’re going to stay in Humboldt County and have the best summer of your life! READ MORE

Best of the Fest: 'In Our Hands' Takes Home Top Honors in the Humboldt Film Festival

By Zoe Berman
April 24, 2012 - 6:06pm

"Better than Sundance,” announced Humboldt Film Festival judge John Coda to the large audience gathered for closing night's Best of the Fest Award Night at the 45th Humboldt Film Festival — the oldest student-run international independent short film festival in the world. The festival concluded its week-long event at Humboldt State University on April 21. READ MORE

It's Kind of a Big Reel: The 45th Annual Humboldt Film Festival

By Zoe Berman
April 13, 2012 - 6:05pm

Did you know that Humboldt State is home to the longest running student-run film festival in the world? This spring marks the Humboldt Film Festival’s 45th year! READ MORE

Risky Business: HSU Improv Team Performs Full-Length Improvised Plays

By Zoe Berman
April 11, 2012 - 12:01am

READ MORE

Backhanded Compliments: Don't Dish Them Out or Take Them

By Sabina Gallier
April 10, 2012 - 11:32am

READ MORE

"Real" Women

By Sabina Gallier
March 30, 2012 - 3:49am

“Real women have curves.” A phrase most of us are familiar with. A phrase that was meant to empower females who may not comply with society’s idea of the picturesque and slim magazine model. It is often used in the context of plus-size women, or at least ladies with a little more meat on their bones. It is also a phase that is incorrect and potentially hurtful.

READ MORE

The Hunger Games: In Theaters and On Your Nails

By Shareen McFall
March 23, 2012 - 3:39am

In the dystopia of Panem, no one is safe. “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins is set in the distant future where North America has been transformed into a society of 12 districts ruled by an overbearing capitol. It follows the dramatic change in the life of Katniss Everdeen and the world around her. With the words “I volunteer as tribute,” Katniss Everdeen embarks on a terrifying odyssey. READ MORE

Alternative Spring Break: Students Lend a Helping Hand

By Kimberly Ann Hodges
March 9, 2012 - 12:00pm

Fresh baked cookies sit alongside bowls of chips and soda cups on a table in the center of the room, surrounded by comfy, welcoming couches filled by students with fingers full of sweets and eager to start their meeting. It is Thursday night, and student volunteers of Humboldt State’s Youth Educational Services House are getting ready to discuss their upcoming journey for their program — Alternative Spring Break. READ MORE