This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

Crab Fishing in Humboldt County is booming this year, but if you’re not up for a pricey restaurant meal a fishing license is only $40. While there is a size restriction on which crabs you can take home and steam, the savings will be worth the extra work.

Homemade crab traps are not too difficult to make. Juniors Alex Hay and Chris Crowell made this one, photographed at the Woodley Bay Marina, after watching a few youtube videos. It only took one trip to Ace Hardware Store in Arcata. | Chris Crowell

Crab traps can be dropped early in the day and left out for a few hours for better catches. The center is filled with bait to attract the crustaceans. Unfortunately all of the pictured crabs were too small to take home and had to be released back into the Bay. | Chris Crowell

This lucky Dungeness Crab made it another day and was released from the trap back into the ocean. | Chris Crowell

The Woodley Bay Marina is a great spot for crab fishing. Juniors Alex Hay and Chris Crowell visit often and tie their trap at the end dock. | Marie F. Estrada

You might run into a few locals while you’re fishing at the dock be sure to dispose of bait properly so the seagulls don’t get sick. | Marie F. Estrada