Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Humboldt Archives

Dressing for Humboldt

By Sabina Gallier
September 10, 2012 - 12:00pm

School is back in session. You’ve got your pens, paper and books, but how is your wardrobe doing? If you’re new to Humboldt County and Humboldt State University, you may have noticed something a little dreary — the weather. Infamously known as “Hills and Stairs University,” HSU has its share of cold days and marching up all these stairs when the weather outside is frightful isn’t exactly a walk in the park. While living here might mean that you can’t rock a crop top and short shorts every day, don’t throw your warm weather staples away! Make them Humboldt friendly with these tips. READ MORE

She Sees Dead People: Djuna Elkan

By Stephanie Giles
May 5, 2012 - 6:26pm

Djuna's Favorites
Favorite Food: Rasberries
Favorite Movie: Men In Black
Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Celebrity Crush: Hayden Christianson Alongside a loaded schedule at Humboldt State and her role as coxswain for the men’s crew team, sophomore anthropology major and criminal justice minor Djuna Elkan has an odd job: she is an on-call volunteer at the coroner’s office in Eureka. READ MORE

Christian DeBolske '14

By Zoe Berman
May 5, 2012 - 11:55am

Major: Recreation Administration
Hometown: Santa Cruz, Calif.
Year: Sophomore
Hobbies: Driving, reading, hiking, hanging out
Favorite thing about Humboldt State: My friends
Favorite quote: "A place is only as good as the people you know in it" — I Am Number Four
One interesting fact: A "jiffy" is a unit of time equal to 1/250th of a second
Favorite song to sing in the shower: "American Dad" theme song
Favorite thing to cook/eat: Rice READ MORE

Lixxapalooza: Bringing Local Music to the Masses

By Zoe Berman
May 2, 2012 - 3:38pm

Every week Local Lixx brings local bands and artists to the KRFH airwaves. This Friday, the Lixx crew brings nine of them together for a night that you won’t want to miss. READ MORE

Spread the Word to End the Word

By Zoe Berman
May 2, 2012 - 3:29pm

Young people around the world are taking a stand and raising awareness of the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the words “retard” or “retarded” and are helping encourage others to think before they speak. READ MORE

5 Reasons to Stay in Humboldt Over the Summer

By Zoe Berman
May 2, 2012 - 3:11pm

You just aced your last final. You turned in that 12-page research paper. You sold your textbooks back to the bookstore. Let the summer begin! Are you going to pack your bags and head back to mom and dad’s ‘til August 20? No! You’re going to stay in Humboldt County and have the best summer of your life! READ MORE

Spotted: Adorable Goats Across the Street from Wildberries!

By Zoe Berman
April 27, 2012 - 6:19am

HC Humboldt Editor-in-Chief Zoe Berman caught these adorable goats across the street from Wildberries on April 26 in Arcata. The 5-week-old milk goats were for sale alongside flowers, garlic, and giant "galatic eggs" — which turned out to be goose eggs. The two young men selling these home grown goods sat next to their truck playing cribbage and enjoying the sunny springtime afternoon. READ MORE

The Little Europe of Humboldt County: NightStalkers

By Ella Rathman
April 27, 2012 - 6:01am

“Instead of calling ourselves DJs, we try to be more like performers,” said Steven Martinez, an economics and graphic design student. READ MORE

Jazmin Sahagun ‘15

By Candice Oliver
April 26, 2012 - 12:42pm

READ MORE

Best of the Fest: 'In Our Hands' Takes Home Top Honors in the Humboldt Film Festival

By Zoe Berman
April 24, 2012 - 6:06pm

"Better than Sundance,” announced Humboldt Film Festival judge John Coda to the large audience gathered for closing night's Best of the Fest Award Night at the 45th Humboldt Film Festival — the oldest student-run international independent short film festival in the world. The festival concluded its week-long event at Humboldt State University on April 21. READ MORE