You know you go to HPU when…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Let’s face it, every school has their norms that make them who they are, and our little school in the middle of the pacific ocean is no different. Here are a few HPU norms that all students can relate to.

You got really upset when you first found out that they are selling the Hawai’i Loa Campus, even though you never go there.

Where else are you going to study if the view is not of the Ko’olau mountains?

Talking about the homeless on Fort Street is just another conversation amongst your friends.

And you start to get nervous when you don’t see the usuals around.

And the one Aunty that yells by MP doesn’t even phase you anymore.

What is she even saying?!

Walking past McDonald’s as fast as you can so that you don’t have to smell the hot pee on the sidewalk.

You pray for heavy rainfall to wash it away.

Eating Marukame before night class because it’s the only thing that tastes decent and doesn’t hurt your wallet.

And you get hella excited when uncle that hooks it up with the extra chicken is working.

9 out of 10 students still don’t know how to open the door at the Learning Commons.

What is so difficult about scanning your ID, waiting 3 seconds, and THEN pulling the door open??

Running across Nimitz Highway because the crosswalk takes FOREVER.

Ain’t nobody got time for that!

You pack sweatpants and hoodies in your backpack to not freeze up during class.

It’s either as hot as the desert or as cold as the arctic… You just never know.

You know 98% of the people in your class.

The other 2% are exchange students only here for a semester.

You’ve made friends with at least one person from every continent.

At least you have somewhere to stay when you visit!

Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.